Rescued chicken not coming out of a coop and barely eating

The hen seemed much more lively in the morning - she was quite vocal, actively seeking the feed when I was about to change it, she ate some and by chance, I found a worm that was hidden in the straw she is on (very similar to mealworm) and she immediately pecked on it and ate it. This was surprising and made me decide to go out on Monday to a local pet store to buy some worms for her - she was apparently very interested in this one and maybe it could provide some needed energy and strength.

She didn't touch the carrot puré unfortunately, but hopefully drank some of that herb infusion I made, though I haven't seen her directly. I put it there this morning instead of water.

I also contacted a local veterinary clinic that is doing checkups of farm animals, so that might be something worth trying as well (if they treat chickens, which I don't know yet). Maybe they could figure out what's wrong and come up with some suitable cure or solution.

She is sleeping most of the time and sometimes pecking. When she wakes up, she makes this rather quiet sad sounding call...

So that's all the updates so far.

The hen seemed much more lively in the morning - she was quite vocal, actively seeking the feed when I was about to change it, she ate some and by chance, I found a worm that was hidden in the straw she is on (very similar to mealworm) and she immediately pecked on it and ate it. This was surprising and made me decide to go out on Monday to a local pet store to buy some worms for her - she was apparently very interested in this one and maybe it could provide some needed energy and strength.

She didn't touch the carrot puré unfortunately, but hopefully drank some of that herb infusion I made, though I haven't seen her directly. I put it there this morning instead of water.

I also contacted a local veterinary clinic that is doing checkups of farm animals, so that might be something worth trying as well (if they treat chickens, which I don't know yet). Maybe they could figure out what's wrong and come up with some suitable cure or solution.

She is sleeping most of the time and sometimes pecking. When she wakes up, she makes this rather quiet sad sounding call...

So that's all the updates so far.
That's great that they're doing better!

Just sprinkle some oatmeal on top to entice them. Or some mealworms.
So I tried to sprinkle it as you suggested and she immediately showed interest, however, when she tried it and pecked at it, she was shaking her head a lot and didn't seem to like it. She stopped trying shortly after. :/ Maybe the worms will work better. But it seems she doesn't like the carrot at all.

So I tried to sprinkle it as you suggested and she immediately showed interest, however, when she tried it and pecked at it, she was shaking her head a lot and didn't seem to like it. She stopped trying shortly after. :/ Maybe the worms will work better. But it seems she doesn't like the carrot at all.
That's strange since all of my many chickens love it.

Did you cook it for the necessary amount of time and add salt?

That's strange since all of my many chickens love it.

Did you cook it for the necessary amount of time and add salt?
I cooked it for an hour, but I haven't added salt as I was afraid that I would put too much and it could hurt her, since I don't really know what's wrong and you mentioned the kidneys...

I cooked it for an hour, but I haven't added salt as I was afraid that I would put too much and it could hurt her, since I don't really know what's wrong and you mentioned the kidneys...
Half the mentioned amount of salt will be fine as they need it to end the mineral imbalance caused by the ongoing diarrhea. Best served lukewarm.

I will try it, thank you!

I was slightly concerned that I haven't seen her drinking today (I could usually tell because I saw wet marks in her feed) and she seemed a little dehydrated. I wonder if she is not fond of the herb brew. I provided her with a jar of clean water and she didn't drink that either. Should I leave the brew there or change it for water as it was before just to be sure?

Back
Top Bottom