Rescued Chicken

JudgeChunk

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
The continuation to my "Mystery Chicken" post in another board.

So thanks to the wonderful people of this forum she's been labeled as a gamefowl pullet.

Now to my issue. I rescued this bird because she was in the middle of the road and almost got hit by a car. She was bone thin, breast bone sharp as a razor. Her wings were cut poorly and just mangled.

I'm looking to help her heal and fatten up. Any suggestions or tricks to help her along?

I should point out she's been on the run since early november.

Attachments

• 20201216_132244.jpg
    20201216_132244.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201216_124158.jpg
    20201216_124158.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice save! I would feed her a high protein feed (gamebird feed would do), and maybe some scratch grains. You can add vitamins to water too, like roosterhavoc said.

Plus if you are experiencing 'winter' weather right now she just may not be laying at the moment.

Bless you for rescuing her. I have OEGB bantams and I love the little devils. So much attitude in such a little package.

And that which must not be named is more prevalent than most realize. An Amish neighbor of ours had somebody show up at his farm with a Game Bantam rooster, and asked him to breed birds for ummmmm sporting for him. He said no as they do not believe in it but the guy left the rooster who was a beautiful black with dubbed wattles and comb. I got some hatching eggs from the Amish farmer and have some of that birds bloodline in my birds. They are all nice birds.

I never would of thought I'd see that in rural Missouri but yep, it's here.

Plus if you are experiencing 'winter' weather right now she just may not be laying at the moment.

Bless you for rescuing her. I have OEGB bantams and I love the little devils. So much attitude in such a little package.

And that which must not be named is more prevalent than most realize. An Amish neighbor of ours had somebody show up at his farm with a Game Bantam rooster, and asked him to breed birds for ummmmm sporting for him. He said no as they do not believe in it but the guy left the rooster who was a beautiful black with dubbed wattles and comb. I got some hatching eggs from the Amish farmer and have some of that birds bloodline in my birds. They are all nice birds.

I never would of thought I'd see that in rural Missouri but yep, it's here.
OEGB are not the same as gamefowl. Not even remotely close and they are not used for illegal purposes. They flat out aren’t game. It’s just that simple. Some idiot may have wanted to breed some birds for some reason but bantams are not the same. I repeat nowhere close! I have a few OEGB and a yard full of American gamefowl.

Well, @roosterhavoc I know you have a flock of gamefowl and I bow to your expertise, but I saw this rooster in our neighbor's yard. It was an OEGB dubbed and ready to rock. Around here did somebody know the difference between an OEGB and a Gamebird? I imagine after enough Bud Light all chickens look the same for some people. Or maybe somebody is using OEGBs in place of Gamebirds. I wouldn't put anything past people any more.

And yes, I know the difference between the two. Although I have a couple of tough OEGB boys with shall I say, admirable attitudes as in they will take on the big boys in my flock and have the big roosters doing wide circles around them afterwards.

Either way, bless the OP for catching this little lady and giving her a second chance at life. And a good second life it will be.

Well, @roosterhavoc I know you have a flock of gamefowl and I bow to your expertise, but I saw this rooster in our neighbor's yard. It was an OEGB dubbed and ready to rock. Around here did somebody know the difference between an OEGB and a Gamebird? I imagine after enough Bud Light all chickens look the same for some people. Or maybe somebody is using OEGBs in place of Gamebirds. I wouldn't put anything past people any more.

And yes, I know the difference between the two. Although I have a couple of tough OEGB boys with shall I say, admirable attitudes as in they will take on the big boys in my flock and have the big roosters doing wide circles around them afterwards.

Either way, bless the OP for catching this little lady and giving her a second chance at life. And a good second life it will be.
OEGB are dubbed for shows. Nah I know what you mean. You never know what some rednecks are doing. I’ve seen so many posts about gamefowl, OEGB, birds on cords, barrels or small pens and people complaining because they drove by them and automatically assume the person is doing something illegal. A lot of people read this forum and spreading misinformation isn’t helpful. I’m not saying you are but I’ve seen plenty that have and I’ve posted on each and every thread
I’ve seen with said misinformation.
Oh and I know what you mean about the bantams being a little aggressive compared to most layer breed roosters. To most that don’t know much about gamefowl they might think they are similar but they are not I assure you.
To some the ‘game’ in the OEGB makes them think they’re the same.

Back
Top Bottom