rescued chicken :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kulukan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Ken F

Ken F In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Great job rescuing this (hopefully) hen! If you do decide to keep her, chickens really don't like living alone and you should probably get another couple to keep her company. A 50 lb bag of grower feed costs about $15.00. That would probably last several weeks for 3 birds. (I'm guessing because I have 46 chickens and go through about 75 lbs a week).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

2. mama24

mama24 Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    If you get her a friend or 2, and feed them leftover food scraps from the house, it will cost you less than $15/mo to feed them. I started out with 3 hens and a roo, full-grown. We throw all of our non-meat food scraps onto a compost pile, and the chickens eat most of them. With that, and having free range access to grass and bugs in the yard, they would only go through a 50lb bag of feed every 5-6weeks or so, more or less, I guess more in the winter, less in the summer.

3. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Songster

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    AWwww thank you for saving her! You have a new best friend ♥

4. kychicken75

kychicken75 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Lebanon ky
    Shes lucky you rescued her...shes really pretty..good luck..

5. Kulukan

Kulukan Hatching

Aug 12, 2011
    well, I have super sad news. I live one street away from being able to legally keep her. I guess I will have to be happy with playing with her in the yard until Tuesday [​IMG] at least I know she will get a good home. I'm really going to miss my little friend.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's a hatchery stock RIR. [​IMG]. Thank you for saving her. It's terrible to feed a live chick to a snake.[​IMG] I'm sorry you can't keep her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. amyw1966

amyw1966 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    You did a wonderful thing. Thank you for saving her. How could anyone have fed this darling to an old snake anyway.

Amy

8. JayneMae

JayneMae In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    i agree it's a RIR. as soon as i saw her pic i thought she looked almost identical to mine. [​IMG] sorry you can't keep her. [​IMG]

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Good for you for stepping up to the plate and rescuing her!
    Sorry you can't keep her, but she'll be a happy chicken, I'm sure. [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Of course there are always "stealth chickens," she could become your house pet (they do sell chicken diapers). You did a wonderful thing taking her in and that is not diminished in any way since you can't keep her and she goes to your friend.

It's bad enough people get baby mice to feed snakes but, chickens.!! If a pet(?) required that to live on, he wouldn't be MY pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: