rescued chicken :)

Great job rescuing this (hopefully) hen! If you do decide to keep her, chickens really don't like living alone and you should probably get another couple to keep her company. A 50 lb bag of grower feed costs about $15.00. That would probably last several weeks for 3 birds. (I'm guessing because I have 46 chickens and go through about 75 lbs a week).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you get her a friend or 2, and feed them leftover food scraps from the house, it will cost you less than $15/mo to feed them. I started out with 3 hens and a roo, full-grown. We throw all of our non-meat food scraps onto a compost pile, and the chickens eat most of them. With that, and having free range access to grass and bugs in the yard, they would only go through a 50lb bag of feed every 5-6weeks or so, more or less, I guess more in the winter, less in the summer.

well, I have super sad news. I live one street away from being able to legally keep her. I guess I will have to be happy with playing with her in the yard until Tuesday
sad.png
at least I know she will get a good home. I'm really going to miss my little friend.

That's a hatchery stock RIR.
smile.png
. Thank you for saving her. It's terrible to feed a live chick to a snake.
sad.png
I'm sorry you can't keep her.

Last edited:
i agree it's a RIR. as soon as i saw her pic i thought she looked almost identical to mine.
smile.png
sorry you can't keep her.
hugs.gif

Of course there are always "stealth chickens," she could become your house pet (they do sell chicken diapers). You did a wonderful thing taking her in and that is not diminished in any way since you can't keep her and she goes to your friend.

It's bad enough people get baby mice to feed snakes but, chickens.!! If a pet(?) required that to live on, he wouldn't be MY pet.

Back
Top Bottom