Rescued drowned quail chicks have matted feathers

WindDwarf

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2022
Came home this morning after working night shift to find that my son had decided to give two of my 3 day old quail chicks swim lessons. I discovered them just in time. Put them in the incubator which dried them off. There in there now with food and water, but now there feathers are dried matted and crusty. I don't want to put them back into the brooder with their hatch mates for fear of not being able to maintain there own body heat without fluffy feathers. I'm going to give them a dust bath, see if that helps, but I was wondering if anyone else has any other ideas.

What temp is the brooder?

As long as they are eating and drinking well I wouldn't worry too much about crusty feathers.

I don't think I would move them just yet though I'd leave them where they are for another day to be sure that they're eating well.

What temperature do you have your incubator set at?

Incubator is set for 99. They've been in there all day, and they are behaving like healthy chicks again. They have eaten a healthy bit, and they are drinking.

Incubator is set for 99. They've been in there all day, and they are behaving like healthy chicks again. They have eaten a healthy bit, and they are drinking.
Put them back with the others and see how they do.
I think they'll be fine.
I don't think they would be fine if they stayed at 99° though so if you're going to keep them in the incubator I would definitely lower it close to 90.

Put them back with the others and see how they do.
I think they'll be fine.
I don't think they would be fine if they stayed at 99° though so if you're going to keep them in the incubator I would definitely lower it close to 90.

Can you get a picture of them?

Attachments

• 20220803_193114.jpg
    20220803_193114.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220803_193256.jpg
    20220803_193256.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 5
Looks like they're just fine on top, looks to really have improved after just 5 minutes with a dust bath. Chest feathers on the one still look rough

I would put them back into the brooder, they look fine....shouldn't get any aggressive behavior from the rest of the brooder mates.

Back
Top Bottom