Rescued duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Choleracoamic, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Choleracoamic

Choleracoamic New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hi,

We just found this baby duck and rescued it from other ones attacking her. She was alone and no mum around.
    What can we feed her? We have put her in the water as when on land she just falls on her side. Please give us some advice!

2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    I really can’t give the best advice, and I don’t know why she’s falling over, but you can’t just put her in water and leave her there. First, ducklings will drown if left in water they can’t get out of. And even if you think it’s too shallow to drown in, she will also get cold.

And food – you should be able to find chick starter at a feed store or something. Just make sure it’s not medicated feed.

Also, she will be lonely, so if you plan on keeping her, you should get her a companion.

I hope someone else comes to help as well...

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I hope she's still with you. Mealworms, regular worms, get some chick or waterfowl starter and moisten it, see how that goes....

You can put poultry vitamins in the drinking water - and yes, ducklings can drown, get hypothermia... bath time is good (no soap), but must be supervised, and in warm water. Not hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by