Rescued duckling advice!

Cute little Mallard babies! They look perfectly healthy to me too. My Spring Ducklings had access to food and water 24x7 and while i was asleep they were busy pooping all over the brooder, so that i would not get bored the next day…
The round chest is a sign that they are well fed and should be as it is. They were likely starving when you picked them up.
Even today my ducks have access to food and water 24x7. Ducks don't sleep straight for eight hours, they get up several times during the night and grab a bite, sip a drink - and poop.
Please keep the pictures coming! We all looove duckies! :love

Cute little Mallard babies! They look perfectly healthy to me too. My Spring Ducklings had access to food and water 24x7 and while i was asleep they were busy pooping all over the brooder, so that i would not get bored the next day…
The round chest is a sign that they are well fed and should be as it is. They were likely starving when you picked them up.
Even today my ducks have access to food and water 24x7. Ducks don't sleep straight for eight hours, they get up several times during the night and grab a bite, sip a drink - and poop.
Please keep the pictures coming! We all looove duckies! :love

I plan to! I’m actually a small youtuber (gaming videos) - but plan to make a mini vlog series about them.

I’d love for them to swim but I read something about them being very susceptible to hypothermia and to wait a few weeks. Any input here?

View attachment 1757671 Thanks for the reply! I trust your input but here is another picture for reference. I just don’t remember those being there until I began taking care of them.
I'll bet they didn't have a nice pan of food for them to frequent before you took them in, eh? You're doing an awesome job — they look great!

I’m guilty of letting my ducklings take a little swim at a few weeks old in a very small dish of water (I believe I used a brownie pan.) But yes, they do not have waterproof feathers yet and can get chilly so be sure their heat lamp is on if you do let them. I would NOT recommend leaving a dish of water in their brooder as it will get VERY messy VERY fast...trust me:lau

I plan to! I’m actually a small youtuber (gaming videos) - but plan to make a mini vlog series about them.

I’d love for them to swim but I read something about them being very susceptible to hypothermia and to wait a few weeks. Any input here?
Where are you? If you are in a warm climate the could probably take a little dip in a shallow pan like a paint tray outside or if it's still cold out where you are you could just put them in your bathtub with warm shallow water. Just be sure they don't stay in too long and stay with them so they don't drown. Make sure that after the swim they are under a light and dry them off real good so they don't get chilled. They have no protection from the cold at this stage and their feathers are not waterproof.

The more you let them swim the faster their little oil glands will kick in and soon they will be waterproof! You know, "like water off a duck's back"! The oil gland is right on the top side of their butt and you'll soon see their little heads go that way and they will rub their bills on it then spread the oil everywhere.

Congrats and thank you for rescuing those adorable little babies. You are in for it now! Welcome to the crazy people duck side! It is the most fun. Looks like you are doing a great job and the others have given you excellent advice. Have fun they literally grow overnight!

Another question as I’ve read varying information. Is around 80 degrees a good temp to set their heat monitored lamp at for their sleep area? They have room to move away from it if needed

Back
Top Bottom