Rescued ducklings? Was it wrong?

Ezero

Hatching
May 16, 2022
Hello all,

I found this forum today online after trying to rescue a duck mom and her ducklings.

When walking to my car at a shopping center I saw a duck mom with her ducklings walking at the side of the road towards who knows what?.

I almost witnessed multiple cars driving them over so I followed them. Eventually she found a small bush and went inside. Shortly after they came out again but there was no place for them to go. The mom would then walk back yo the bush.

The mom eventually got out again and went to another bush that had water splashed right I front of it. The mom and ducklings started drinking from it but then again went running in to a bush.

To many cars and people passing and we are in the desert of San Diego so I can imagine they were thirsty.

After an hour wait animal patrol came and asked me to help rescue them mom first. However the mom panicked and when she saw more people come to watch she flew away. The patrol said they would wait for the mom to comeback but left 5 minutes later. The mom now is flying by herself and making dick noises but her ducklings are gone.

I feel terrible and I am not sure if I did the right thing by calling the rescue. I feel they should have taken the mom first…

There is no lake near by so no one knows how they got there and a fact is that they would have not survives the desert heat in that parking lot.

Was I wrong in helping them?

@Ezero you did entirely right to try and help this duck mama and her little ones. From what you describe, they were doomed if they stayed where they were.

You don't say what sort of duck the Mama was, but that she could fly is indicative she was wild. While she will be distressed that she cannot find her ducklings, that will not last long. Within weeks she will be broody and laying another clutch of eggs. We can only hope she nests in a sensible place near a lake or pond and takes her ducklings there when they hatch.

So be reassure you did the right thing! Thank you.

@Ezero you did entirely right to try and help this duck mama and her little ones. From what you describe, they were doomed if they stayed where they were.

You don't say what sort of duck the Mama was, but that she could fly is indicative she was wild. While she will be distressed that she cannot find her ducklings, that will not last long. Within weeks she will be broody and laying another clutch of eggs. We can only hope she nests in a sensible place near a lake or pond and takes her ducklings there when they hatch.

So be reassure you did the right thing! Thank you.

thank you for your words... I cant explain how depressed I was after this..

thank you for your words... I cant explain how depressed I was after this..
I can imagine, but be reassured you did the right thing.

Some inexperienced duck mamas lose their first clutches because they are inexperienced or because the odds were stacked against them in the big bad world. We can only do our best to help when we see ducks in danger and hope for the best

I can imagine, but be reassured you did the right thing.

Some inexperienced duck mamas lose their first clutches because they are inexperienced or because the odds were stacked against them in the big bad world. We can only do our best to help when we see ducks in danger and hope for the best

I just used google maps and the only water source available to them would have been a 10 min highway walk. I just wish they would have taken the mom first.. The separation made me sad but as you said I did the right thing and the mom will have new ducklings soon.

Welcome to BYC!

Do not feel guilty, you did what was right. If you hadn't called someone I don't think the ducklings would have lasted very long, either by being hit by a car, or dyeing of thirst.

The mother will soon forget about her babies. It's sad, but they were differently the humans. She'll lay more eggs, hatch more ducklings, and carry on with her life.

Back
Top Bottom