Rescued ducklings? Was it wrong?

Welcome to BYC!

Do not feel guilty, you did what was right. If you hadn't called someone I don't think the ducklings would have lasted very long, either by being hit by a car, or dyeing of thirst.

The mother will soon forget about her babies. It's sad, but they were differently the humans. She'll lay more eggs, hatch more ducklings, and carry on with her life.
Do you know why she decided to nest in a parking lot? So far away from water?

I was doing some reading and it said mallards sometimes nest a few miles away from water. When they hatch, she will march her babies to the
I was reading a similar post and that make me feel sad again. But now looking back and using google maps I couldn't see any water source they could have used within 10min walking distance....

Broodies are nuts.. I’ve seen videos where Mallards nest on roofs of building in highly congested areas then once duckling hatch they have to jump onto cement then mama and ducklings are right in heavy traffic. Many times wonderful humans will help. It’s purely amazing to see a wild duck and goose nesting In a parking lot now we know where the term “bird brain” came from

Back
Top Bottom