Rescued Goose in Great Need! Help

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
Okay, so as usual the bleeding heart within my soul has struck and I have found a goose, which appears to me to be a White Chinese female goose, in desperate need of aid.

Things to know first and what exactly I am looking for by posting here.

1.) Yes I know I need a vet, can't do that until I get my money next month. No one was going to do anything about her otherwise so trying something is better than trying nothing.

2.) I am looking for advice of what to do until then and/or alternate methods of treatment.

3.) Has anyone seen or treated something like this before

Like does this look more like a very bad infection or tumor?

Additional information:

- She drinks and nibbles at food.

- Appears to be a healthy weight. I felt her, have carried her and established she's not skinny.

- Responsive, hisses at my dog and rooster, gentle and nibbly to me. Her poop seems pretty normal and she tried to follow me and honked when I was out of sight. She also saw my gosling and wanted to be with it, she was trying to be motherly. But clearly, I'm not going to let her too close to my healthy birds like this.

- She was found trying to lay on some weird kind of group nest where several geese where vying for the eggs. (One of the reasons my guess is female aside from the actual knob being more goose-like)

- The mass: It is soft and squishy to touch, although her skin is stretched quite bad, clearly, and she's sniffly and I can hear her swallowing. (Fluids leaking through sinuses?)

- You can see the lower part of her eye on the mass side, looks clear, but I can't see the second eyelid. Mass between eye lids? Sinus cavity? Appears to be contained. No bumps anywhere else on her body.

I made many calls but because she is domestic, no rehabilitation place around here wants to help.
I've contacted one for farm animals but I've gotten no reply yet

She's very tame and if I am able to save her I will likely try to put her up for adoption. If not, I will keep her
although I wasn't expecting to have 3 geese, I already have 2.

If anyone wonders how the last rescue went, my rooster went from

From THIS ^ to THIS v

So even those really nasty cases have a chance.

Last edited:
Good on you for giving them a chance. I think many people are too quick to put the animal out of its misery regardless of whether or not the animal itself wants to fight for its life. Some do, some don't.

About the goose: does look like a female, and on the pic where you can see the obstructed eye, the feathers are mucky brownish below the mass. Is there any kind of seepage there? Is the lump leaking? It looks like a pecking injury to me, or some other kind of wound that's been attacked multiply by other birds. Seems to have many recent scabs on it. Are they open holes?

If that was my bird I'd use pine tar (Stockholm tar) because I've never seen anything work so well on everything. But I don't know if you can get it where you are. I think she's got a chance though if you or someone is willing to help her, just going on what info and pics you've supplied.

Just thought i'd update! She had the nodule drained of some stingy clearish pus stuff and is being given antibiotics. She seems like she felt the relief of the pressure being gone immediately and is now living on a farm with some other white chinese as she recuperates.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear, I was wondering about her. I'm sure she's grateful for your efforts with her, geese can be great like that. Never forget a good turn done them.... And then, some of them never forget a bad turn either.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom