Rescued some Leghorns last night (graphic pic)

ChickieBooBoo

Cold Canadian Chick
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
I don't know if you'd call it "rescued" but I'm sure glad they aren't in their old home anymore.

A few days ago I responded to a kijiji add for some White Leghorn laying hens, needing a few more layers I responded and asking if they had any left. Surprisingly they did (the ad was about 1-2 weeks old already) and I picked them up last night. The pen was really gross, it didn't look like it was cleaned very often and it was also very low, only about 4ft and I didn't see very many (if any) roosts. I got the birds she was selling, although I really wish I could have gotten more. I felt so bad for them.

When I got home I put them in a seperate pen that I had gotten ready earlier and looked them over. Most of them had no feathers at all on their breast area and around their vent. That whole area was raw and really red from sitting in all that poo and their feet were just filthy. They all had clumps of poo stuck to their toenails, a few of them were even the size of golf balls! When they walked their toes just kinda hung limply because of all the extra weight. I gave them all a bath this morning to wash all that off and put some polysporin on the really raw areas.

Once they were clean I noticed that a few of them have this smelly, white colored liquid kinda draining from their vent and running down their butt. It just sorta seeps out slowly. I dont have a pic right now but does anyone have an idea what it might be? They have clean straw now and proper roosts so I'm hoping they will start getting their feathers back.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you did this, even if it wasn't intentional. They probably wouldn't have made it if it wasn't for you.

As for the liquid, I'm not too sure...A picture would help eventually.

Last edited:
Quote:
They seem quite healthy, running around, eating drinking. No lice or mites that I seen. Just really dirty and smelly.

Its similar to this, bare butt but the fluid is a more white color.

046-3.jpg

Quote:
They seem quite healthy, running around, eating drinking. No lice or mites that I seen. Just really dirty and smelly.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chickens/046-3.jpg

smile.png
That's good to hear.

I'll think about it for a bit; my first thoughts were actually really discolored poop. And that's possible considering there is usually a bit of white in bird poop. Yes, ew.
tongue.png
But you said it stunk!

Quote:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chickens/046-3.jpg

smile.png
That's good to hear.

I'll think about it for a bit; my first thoughts were actually really discolored poop. And that's possible considering there is usually a bit of white in bird poop. Yes, ew.
tongue.png
But you said it stunk!

Yep, it REALLY stinks, more then regular looking poop. They do poop normally besides this white stuff.

Quote:
smile.png
That's good to hear.

tongue.png
But you said it stunk!

Yep, it REALLY stinks, more then regular looking poop. They do poop normally besides this white stuff.

Hm, weird. If I don't figure it out quite yet then hopefully someone who has dealt with something similar will know.

Quote:

Hm, weird. If I don't figure it out quite yet then hopefully someone who has dealt with something similar will know.

Yeah, and I'll get a pic in the morning. That should help.

Quote:

Yeah, and I'll get a pic in the morning. That should help.

Yep.

Keep them away from your flock for at least 30 days. Though they may seem fine, something is not right. Don't know what they may have, as a change in poop may be stress related, but if they do have a contagous illness, you don't want your other birds to get it. Just keep watching. Keep them dry, keep their area clean, keep out fresh water and see if their problem clears. I would give a little plain, low fat yogurt. Just a little. Yogurt has probiotic organisms to help their gut. Wash your hands and change your boots etc. when visiting between your old and new flocks. Practice biosafety until you know all is well. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom