Rescued turkey-tom or hen?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by grandmachicken, Nov 4, 2009.

1. grandmachicken

grandmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    My loving husband brought home a turkey from animal control. No idea where he came from, how old, etc. He is very tame and sweet, follows my chickens around the property. All the old-timers say it must be a tom because it has a beard, about 2 inches long. I've never seen him flare his tail, but he's also not around any females, and he's very submissive, especially to the 12 chickens he lives with. Also his snood is just a little button on his nose. So . . . tom or hen?

Thanks in advance,

Christi

[​IMG]

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I am going to vote female but I am no turkey expert and might be wrong. As far as that beard goes all my turkeys have that and I have 5 females. 2 royal palms and 3 bourbon reds. Toms will flare in defense as well. Got a dog? Put it on a leash and walk it by the turkey. If it is a male I can almost promise it will flare. You know now that I think about it my females puff up pretty big if you make them angry but it still don't look like a tom does.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  3. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a tom to me.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well, must show to my hubby cause he's in charge of our 50 turkeys,,,,,but I say Tom!!!!! He looks to be bronze and fairly young, maybe about 4 months....If he starts getting lonely in the spring, be sure and come see us and get him a mate. I'm glad you rescued him!

Come see us when you can...we're in West Georgia!
    Have a blessed day!

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi, me again, just went to your website and love the veterinary info link there....

Anyway you could add one for poultry info...

Have a blessed day........
    Nancy

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It's tom. On the bronze the hens will have white edging on the feathers the toms black. He is holding his snood like that because he is unsure, once he settles in he will be strutting all over the place. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

7. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    He also has spurs. Looks to be a two year old bird. Im also thinking it looks a lot like a Eastern wild turkey.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Last years bronze jake.
    Not an Eastern, too much buff in the tail, Easterns are brown tipped in the tail, Rio grande would be the only possible wild starin it could be. But still looks too bulky for that at such a young age

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    He's handsome...

10. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Beautiful boy!
    We have a EWT that we've been trying to sex since it was a poult. From what I understand, your turkey is a tom. If you look at the feathers you will see a black tip, very noticeable in the sun when you can see the iridescence and then the black tips; this indicates a male. Female have a brown tip.
    My turkey, who thinks he is a chicken despite the local wild flocks of his brethren, is a tom.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by