Research Resources:

Pics
The Royal Pastime of Cocking https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54372/54372-h/54372-h.htm

This a book from 1709… I am not promoting fighting chickens, I find these books interesting for lots of other reasons such as keeping, care, feed, poultry medicine, ideas about breeding of poultry, historic breed descriptions from that time period. I also find the changes to English language interesting.

564C74A0-BD8C-4592-9AB3-BCB714699D5F.jpeg

Most of the info I post is either science, poultry industry heavy, or way old. I decided to check this book out of the library… it is a much lighter read, but still full of information that you might find useful. Besides speech, the book covers behaviour, psychology, taste, smell, sight, intelligence and more. It does site studies for you to go deeper if you choose. There are tidbits of information you can apply to understand your chickens better, even a few things that might help prevent aggression.

I learned the flock names it‘s keepers… yep they have a specific name (call) for you and each member of the flock. Chickens can count, chickens watch tv and can learn from video alone… there is more.

Anyway the book isn’t big, pretty easy read and chalk full of fun facts presented in a light way.

Back
Top Bottom