Resin Shed Coop

Twinklin

Songster
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
We moved into our house almost a year ago and around 6 months in we discussed getting a few chickens and started trying to figure out where to put a coop/run. We only have about 1/4 acre property and being in the southwest most of the landscaping is rock instead of grass and we have a large pool on one half our yard so we were limited to where we could keep the chickens.

After a while of debating I suggested using the large resin shed that was installed by the people before us. We have plenty of other storage so we didn't really use it and it would save space not having to add another item to the yard.

We cut holes in the doors and made tight fitting frames covered in hardware cloth for ventilation. We cut out a hole in the bottom of one wall and made another wood frame for a door to the run. The run door has a plywood door that slides down into it to close it up at night. We also cut down one of the plastic shelves that was in the shed to use as a ramp into the coop. It was slippery so I painted the ramp with primer and dumped sand on it then painted it with outdoor paint to seal the sand so it's now textured to prevent the chickens from sliding down it.

I made a roost by making a rectangle of 2x4s and adding some vertical beams to attach 2 different height roost bars. We then lined the bottom with a tarp making it easy to clean. I will probably be adding a middle height bar to the roost because I think the height different between the 2 is a bit much though they seem to make it to the high one every night. We use sand in the coop and run and I love it. It scoops just like cat litter.

The nest boxes are made from scrap wood, typical wood boxes with a slanted lid that opens. Added curtains for privacy. I bolted down the lowest shelf in the shed and then bolted the nest boxes to the shelf and the wall of the shed. I'm hoping they aren't too high, the girls aren't laying yet so we'll see if they figure them out.

We made the run using 2x4s and galvanized wire mesh. The mesh is doubled up on the bottom half of the run and has a 2 ft skirt which the grass grew over. We are not carpenters and made it up as we went along so it's far from perfect but once the mesh got nailed on with U nails it became very sturdy. I was paranoid about coyotes and stuff in the beginning even though we have a 5-6ft block wall that surrounds our entire backyard I made sure we made it as predator proof as possible within our budget. It's about 8x8 and 6ft tall at the peak so we can get in to clean it really well.

I added a small roost to the corner of the run as well as a PVC feeder. The girls use a dish bucket for water. I change it twice a day or when my BSL decides to take a bath and dirties it up.

After about a month of them being confined to the run all day I decided to get over my predator fears and let them free range during the day since I'm home. So now I hook the run door open so it can't blow closed and they are able to go in and out as they please. I planted a little black oil sunflower garden next to their run so when the flowers make seeds I can just cut them off and throw them to the girls.

It's not the fanciest coop but it's easy to clean, spacious and functional. I'm sure I'll be adding stuff to it as time goes on as well as improving on it as I can.

love.gif

The run mesh looks large. Raccoons can easily reach through 1 inch mesh and pull a chicken through. You might consider lining the lower 2 feet or so with 1/2 inch mesh hardware cloth.

If the roosting bars are round, the chickens might prefer the flat surface of a 2 x 4 on its side. Chickens don't perch, they sit on their feet.

Nice looking installation.

Chris

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have a raccoon here. I've never seen one in this part of the AZ desert. We have a 6ft block wall around our property and the girls are locked in the coop at night. I'm home all day and they free range during that time. They're only in the run if we go out during the day and they have access to the coop at that time as well, so if a raccoon was going to get them it would either come at night when they're in the coop or the raccoon would get them while they free range during the day but thank you for the concern.

They don't seem to mind the round roost bars but I am considering redesigning the roost bar set up as I mentioned in my post because I think they're too far apart and 2x4s are easier to mount so I may go with that instead. Thanks.

There is a lip on each wall that the black plastic shelf sits on so I drilled through the shelf and the lip and bolted the shelf down. The roost bar that I made for the nest boxes wraps around the sides and is attached with screws. I drilled through the roost bar piece on the sides and through the shelf and placed bolts there as well. I also drilled right through the back board of the boxes and the wall of the shed and used a long bolt and placed a washer and nut on the outside of the shed.

The roost perch is made with 2x4s up on edge to make a rectangle on the floor then I nailed 2x4s vertically at different heights. I drilled holes into the ends of the round poles and screwed in a long headless bolt into each end and drilled a hole into the vertical 2x4s and fit the bolt ends of the round poles and secured with nuts.

Sorry if that was super hard to understand. If you need I can take pictures which may explain it better just let me know.

There is a lip on each wall that the black plastic shelf sits on so I drilled through the shelf and the lip and bolted the shelf down. The roost bar that I made for the nest boxes wraps around the sides and is attached with screws. I drilled through the roost bar piece on the sides and through the shelf and placed bolts there as well. I also drilled right through the back board of the boxes and the wall of the shed and used a long bolt and placed a washer and nut on the outside of the shed.

The roost perch is made with 2x4s up on edge to make a rectangle on the floor then I nailed 2x4s vertically at different heights. I drilled holes into the ends of the round poles and screwed in a long headless bolt into each end and drilled a hole into the vertical 2x4s and fit the bolt ends of the round poles and secured with nuts.

Sorry if that was super hard to understand. If you need I can take pictures which may explain it better just let me know.

hahah well pics make it a bit easier but I am more a visual person than with text..if you have time for it one of these days than yes please.

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest and the coop's pretty dirty right now, needs a good cleaning this weekend.

This is the black plastic shelf where i drilled through and bolted it to the lip that it sits on.

This piece of wood is screwed to the side of the nest box and I drilled through it and bolted it through the shelf.

the bolt through the bottom of the shelf. There's one of these on each side of the boxes.

I drilled right through the back of the nest boxed and kept drilling all the way through the shed and used a really long bolt and put the nut on the outside of the shed.

This is how I put the roost together. 4 2x4s on edge making a rectangle

nailed in some vertical 2x4s

drilled a hole each of of the round poles and screwed a headless bolt into the holes. Also drilled holes in the 2x4 for the bolt to fit into

used a large nut on the ends to keep the pole from slipping out of the holes.

I laid the tarp down and filled with sand so it's like a big litter box to scoop every couple days. When I do the full wipe down of the coop i pick up the tarp, dump it in a bucket and hose the tarp off. I can reuse the sand for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom