Resonating toms

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ivan3, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Last night, about 11pm, I had just finished rebaiting the traps and slid (need blades and not mud boots on this ice) over to the turkey shed. The temp during the day hit 62F, melting enough of the ice around the 4"x4" 's that support the shed that I could finally check for rodent holes and shove steel wool down any I might find. By 11pm the temp had dropped to 9F, but I was still `springing' around and took a header into the side of the shed. As I got my feet back under me I heard the toms rumbling. The open interior of the shed must acted like an amplifier because the latches that we use in the summer to hold open the shutters started vibrating, and the chooks in their coop went into growling and whining.

I've startled the toms awake before and they do this low frequency growl/rumble as they rise from the depths, but this was a new one to me (glad I'll never get to meet their ancestors!).

Oh, and they do sleep hard and deep. Even though they're stomping stags now, they sleep just like they did as poults - absolutely out of it.

[​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    LOL, thanks for the visual of you slipping and sliding and taking a header into the shed. Makes me glad I live in the land of sucking mud. Sucks the boots right off your feet but at least Im still upright as I sink towards China. Those turkeys were just grumbling about all the racket you were making.

chel

3. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Dose anyone in the west Tn. area have any bronze hens they are willing to sell. I need one or two. We live in Savanna Tn. and have a home near Memphis as well. These will be used for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by