Resp. problem, no eye discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mishnchick, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mishnchick

mishnchick New Egg

Jul 10, 2012
    Hello,
    I have two chickens of high value- the rooster breathes 40% of the time with its beak slightly open, nothings that abnormal- but on top of that it has a gravelly noise 50% of the time. There is no bubbly eye, a little clear mucus in the mouth and nostrils AT TIMES- eats and drink normally, sleeps a little bit more but that may be from being confined to himself. I thought gape worm because he started out shaking his head and extending it. ALL other chickens have been fine for the past 2+ weeks that this has been an issue with those two birds, one worse than the other though. Would others have shown signs if it was a serious RI by now- 2 weeks later? All birds are from NPI registered breeders.... could this be a long lasting cold? I plan to use these as breeders, should I make the very tough economic and tough ethical decision to cull these birds? I dont have A LOT of money for a vet so would like to get an idea if its a possible infection that will be a carrier for life- making them unsuitable for breeding- or something temp that can pass and wont carry for life?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!

Best
    Ramsey

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    This sounds similar to how things started with our flock. It's a long read, but may prove useful to you (and note that we've had no further issues whatsoever and everyone lives happily): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgling-rales-when-breathing-no-other-symptoms

There are also links from other users regarding their experience with other CRDs.

One thing I can't stress enough, though is to always isolate sick birds from healthy ones as soon as you notice any symptoms.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by