Respiratory conditions and soft shell eggs

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all

I’m very worried about my modern game bird, I’ve got a mycroplasma positive flock.

My game bird verity does sometimes flare up when she gets stressed I noticed today her breathing is heavy and she is sneezing (no discharge though) she also laid a soft shelled egg which she never has before.

I’ve got tylan at home and she is booked in to see my avian vet but my vet can’t see me for 5 days. I don’t know if she is having an egg problem which is causing the breathing or if she is having a Mycroplasma flare and if so can this cause soft shell eggs?

I’ve given her some Zolcol d and wondered if I should try the tylan too is there anything else I can try ? I’ve had an issue with another one of my hens laying soft eggs I’ve changed their diet completely and incorporated caged bird grit as I think they are so small they are struggling to eat the grit

It's up to you if you feel she needs the Tylan, you are there to see the symptoms and access how well she is doing.

Respiratory diseases can affect production, so it's possible that MG is part of the issue with the soft shelled egg. I'd make sure she's getting calcium and eating a balanced poultry diet.

Back
Top Bottom