MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Last night we decided to just make a decision and cull them. I disinfected everything, and now I'm just hoping our flock wasn't somehow infected.

I hoped I would never have to do anything like that, but I know that it's just part of chicken keeping. :(

Thanks for all the help. It's very appreciated. :hugs

Onyxflock

Songster
Jan 25, 2020
Onyx, Ca ... Kern River Valley
Last night we decided to just make a decision and cull them. I disinfected everything, and now I'm just hoping our flock wasn't somehow infected.

I hoped I would never have to do anything like that, but I know that it's just part of chicken keeping. :(

Thanks for all the help. It's very appreciated. :hugs
Such a shame! You might take proactive measures by thoroughly cleaning your run and house and putting new bedding, etc. Clean your shoes and equipment, feeders & waterers too. Give the hens Apple cider vinegar in their water which is very good for their system and helps fight off illneses. Hopefully your flock will prosper

MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Such a shame! You might take proactive measures by thoroughly cleaning your run and house and putting new bedding, etc. Clean your shoes and equipment, feeders & waterers too. Give the hens Apple cider vinegar in their water which is very good for their system and helps fight off illneses. Hopefully your flock will prosper
After culling I immediately disinfected everything. Coop, feeders, clothes, anything they touched. I'm not letting our chickens on that side of the run for a couple weeks, just in case.

So far no signs of respiratory issues.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
If the others were already exposed somehow, I would have just closed the flock. Check with your state vet just to ask about testing and if it is available. Each state is different, but some have found that testing for MG can cost just a few dollars. Many states are much more, but it would be good to check out the various ways to get a bird tested if you should ever have another sign of illness. This is a link for contacting your state vet for information or a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

MikyPiky

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
If the others were already exposed somehow, I would have just closed the flock. Check with your state vet just to ask about testing and if it is available. Each state is different, but some have found that testing for MG can cost just a few dollars. Many states are much more, but it would be good to check out the various ways to get a bird tested if you should ever have another sign of illness. This is a link for contacting your state vet for information or a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I'm Canadian, so that info isn't relative for me. Thanks though! :)

If they start to show any signs I'll make a thread on here. Just praying they don't. 🙏

Top Bottom