Respiratory illness?

chicksooner

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Oklahoma
I have a couple birds weezing and coughing. I had one die last night. My go to would have been oxytetaracycline for all of them in their water. I can't get that now. I also don't have a vet around who will work on chickens. So any suggestions for antibiotics and how to administer them to about 15 birds?

For a respiratory disease caused by mycoplasma (MG) Tylan 50 injectable used ORALLY or by injection can help symptoms. Dosage is 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given twice a day for 5 days. Egg withdrawal is 1 day for oral use, and 7 days after completion for injectable use. Be sure to purchase syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial. Most feed stores will carry that in the cattle section: https://www.qcsupply.com/540325-tyl...0uCaxArwDrj_HwOfrDYk5SPSlCr4nqnNP0aAjh-8P8HAQ

I am treating sneezing with doxycycline both in their water, and given orally. The vet we have been seeing has us on a 21 day cycle of this. It's getting pretty expensive to continue these meds.

For a respiratory disease caused by mycoplasma (MG) Tylan 50 injectable used ORALLY or by injection can help symptoms. Dosage is 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given twice a day for 5 days. Egg withdrawal is 1 day for oral use, and 7 days after completion for injectable use. Be sure to purchase syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial. Most feed stores will carry that in the cattle section: https://www.qcsupply.com/540325-tyl...0uCaxArwDrj_HwOfrDYk5SPSlCr4nqnNP0aAjh-8P8HAQ
Any thoughts on using a Calf Scour bolus? I was thinking about just dissolving it in water and putting it out for them to drink. I tried dosing everyone with the Tylan last night and it was pointless. They might have gotten a little of it but I was covered in it. I also out it out on little bites of bread this morning in the hopes that they would eat it but they had no interest in it.

Are you talking about Corid for calf scours? Corid (amprollium) is only used for coccidiosis in poultry. They sell Tylan Soluble Powder online with a vet prescription, if you could get your vet to prescribe it. That is for use in the water. Most vets anymore will not prescribe anything, unless they see the animal first, but you could always try. When giving a chicken medicine, I hold them in my left arm, and pull down on their wattles with my left hand. Then I give a couple of drops of medicine, then release the wattles for them to swallow. Repeat. This works well to worm as well.

Are you talking about Corid for calf scours? Corid (amprollium) is only used for coccidiosis in poultry. They sell Tylan Soluble Powder online with a vet prescription, if you could get your vet to prescribe it. That is for use in the water. Most vets anymore will not prescribe anything, unless they see the animal first, but you could always try. When giving a chicken medicine, I hold them in my left arm, and pull down on their wattles with my left hand. Then I give a couple of drops of medicine, then release the wattles for them to swallow. Repeat. This works well to worm as well.
No it is the Oxytet 500mg for Calf Scours. Corid is for Cocci.

Back
Top Bottom