Respiratory illness

I agree with Wyorp Rock. Penicillin does not treat most respiratory diseases. Tylan 50 can be given orally in chickens instead of injecting it. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 5 days. Your state vet may be helpful with testing, and Zoologix can send you materials to test yourself, but may be more expensive. Here is a link to contacting the state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here is the link for the respiratory panel testing:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

The new ladies sound the worst. You can literally hear every breath. My original ladies only 3 out of the 8 are sneezing & can occasionally hear that phlegm rattle when they breathe. I don't want to cull the new ladies since they are more active & all eating & drinking. They still look terrible & they are still super thin! (They were rescued from a kill facility & sold by that company to the public for $3 each) These "cheap" birds have costed me more than I would've spent raising chicks. I'll NEVER buy anything but chicks & raise them myself!
Yup! Made the same mistake this spring and bought 10 week old pullets from a small farm. I bought 10, and I’m down to 4 :( then added three to replace some along the way, not realizing that what the others had was so contagious and lost them all too. So discouraging. Next spring, chicks. I’m sorry! Money, time, energy all down the drain

UPDATE- I feel even more awful now. I took the "sickest" chicken to a Livestock veterinarian & they are infested with MITES!!! I've never dealt with mites & actually hadn't had any crawl on me when I picked the chickens up. (I picked them up every night to put them on the roost) The veterinarian believes the respiratory symptoms are symptoms of the mites. A family member bought birds from the same place prior to me & hers had mites. WHYYYYY Ugh!!! I will NEVER buy birds from anyone again! I will only raise chicks myself!

UPDATE- I feel even more awful now. I took the "sickest" chicken to a Livestock veterinarian & they are infested with MITES!!! I've never dealt with mites & actually hadn't had any crawl on me when I picked the chickens up. (I picked them up every night to put them on the roost) The veterinarian believes the respiratory symptoms are symptoms of the mites. A family member bought birds from the same place prior to me & hers had mites. WHYYYYY Ugh!!! I will NEVER buy birds from anyone again! I will only raise chicks myself!
Mites happen to EVERYONE and they are so tiny that they are easy to miss. They are easily dealt with compared to respiratory infections, too. Get permethrin or something similarly designated for killing mites. You can find it in liquid or powder. Treat your birds directly. Then clean out the ENTIRE coop and bag or burn the bedding to kill the mites. Then use the same product to treat your coop. Use spray/powder in your run, too. Be sure to thoroughly treat corners, nooks, crannies where the little vermin might be hiding. Then treat everything again in a week.

Back
Top Bottom