Respiratory infection? Or something else? Getting worse...help!

Give her one or two drops of nutri drench a day orally for no more than 7 days. Try giving her some plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk or cottage cheese and see if she'll eat it. What does her poop look like?
The nutri-drench really seems to help make her less lethargic. She still won’t eat her normal pellets but she’s eating cracked corn at least.
Her poop looks normal. When she does poop it seems to be a smaller amount than usual- but I’m assuming that’s because of her bouts of lethargy/lack of appetite related to the breathing issues.

The Oxine came in the mail today so I mixed 1/8 teaspoon to 1 gallon water, put some of the solution in a spray bottle and spritz it (with the fine mist setting) over her head and around the coop. Tomorrow morning I’ll repeat. Because of my work schedule I can only repeat 2 times a day (morning/evening) but on the weekends I can go 3x per day. Is that okay? Will I need to treat longer than 10 days to make up for the days that I only treat 2x?
Also, just to confirm (because 1/8 teaspoon seems like such a tiny, ineffective amount especially when diluted in a gallon of water), it IS 1/8 tsp that you meant right?
Thank you again! You’re a life saver (literally!)

Everything is correct with the oxine mixture. I've used it on birds for a mold problem in a coop that went unnoticed. It happened long ago and the oxine did its job. Two times a day should be okay. You can extend treatment beyond 10 days if necessary, but it might not be a necessity, time will tell.

Everything is correct with the oxine mixture. I've used it on birds for a mold problem in a coop that went unnoticed. It happened long ago and the oxine did its job. Two times a day should be okay. You can extend treatment beyond 10 days if necessary, but it might not be a necessity, time will tell.
Okay thank you!!

Update: she seems to be doing better! This is day 10 of spraying the Oxine 2x/day (once in the morning, once at night). Her breathing seems to be getting easier, still sneezing occasionally but not nearly as congested as before.
It looks like we’re on the road to recovery!
Thank you again @dawg53, your suggestion came at just the right time.
On the downside, another hen- also a rescue- suddenly has a swollen eye with some bubbles. Bubbles indicate it might be respiratory, right? I’m wondering if this is connected in some way. I’ll have to make a separate post for treating that.

Swollen eye with bubbles is a pretty good indication of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). It is transmittable to other birds. I commend you with rescuing chickens, however there's the risk of bringing in sick birds.

You may want to get something from your vet to treat for MG, since your seeing another sick bird who has a swollen bubbly eye. Or you can try to get Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water in a couple days here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 5 days. Add liquid to the powder only, or it doesn’t mix easily.

Swollen eye with bubbles is a pretty good indication of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). It is transmittable to other birds. I commend you with rescuing chickens, however there's the risk of bringing in sick birds.
Yeah I know, we were lucky to have no illnesses over the last (almost a) year we’ve had them. Thank you

You may want to get something from your vet to treat for MG, since your seeing another sick bird who has a swollen bubbly eye. Or you can try to get Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water in a couple days here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 5 days. Add liquid to the powder only, or it doesn’t mix easily.
I think I’m going to give the Tylan a try. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom