Respiratory issue, breathing sounds watery help.

floodthelast

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2016
Green Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Speckled Sussex, (Peggy), two years old, average weight fine
2) What is the behavior, exactly. she spit up yellowish liquid and her breathing sounds liquidy, like stuffy cold or bronchitis. No snot on her beak.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Possibly three days, I saw her spit yesterday and heard the breathing.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. She is recovering from bumble foot and the foot has become hot and swollen again. I removed the kernel and a bit left over after that three or four days ago, after the initial surgery the swelling and heat had gone but after the second clean out the swelling and heat has returned.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Maybe a weakened immune system from the bumblefoot healing?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal eating and drinking, water and feed
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. A bit thick but normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I was treating the foot with golden yellow salve. I brought her into the basement yesterday after I saw her spit and will be checking the foot more thoroughly today. I started antibiotics in her water yesterday.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will be treating this myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Would a pic of her foot help? I'm going to remove the scab after soaking her foot today to see if any infection is visible.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Hay, a bit damp under the roost but she spends most of the day in a covered run outside. A big coop maybe 15x7 with open windows and only ten hens and two ducks. Plenty of room in the run.

I will try and get a video of her breathing, she is a very very vocal bird and always has been, she is complaining loudly from the basement now and I can hear her in the dining room where I am typing now. So she is definitely getting plenty of air at this point.

After a run of antibiotics she cleared right up. Then after being reintroduced did the same thing and another run of antibiotics cleared her up for good.

Back
Top Bottom