Respiratory issue in hen

When the lower belly seems enlarged, it can be from fluid during ascites or from salpingitis, internal laying, or egg yolk peritonitis. Those are all very common in hens. Most may be found opupon necropsy. Most respiratory diseases are chronic and may pop up during periods of stress, such as during molting or during cold weather. If symptoms improve with the liquimycin, then it is probably MG.

When the lower belly seems enlarged, it can be from fluid during ascites or from salpingitis, internal laying, or egg yolk peritonitis. Those are all very common in hens. Most may be found opupon necropsy. Most respiratory diseases are chronic and may pop up during periods of stress, such as during molting or during cold weather. If symptoms improve with the liquimycin, then it is probably MG.
Okay, there was a period of time for a week or two where the temperatures got into the 20s and very snowy, but I cleaned out the coop and winterized the coop. She is definitely molting, but im not sure what to do about her abdomen. I looked up the symptoms and shes not lethargic and shes eating good

Does it feel tight like a drum or spongy? I have never drained a hen’s abdomen for ascites, since it is not without risk, but some withdraw fluid to relieve pressure and pain. If the problem is internal laying or salpingitis, then there is probably nothing that can be done. Has this hen been laying recently?

Does it feel tight like a drum or spongy? I have never drained a hen’s abdomen for ascites, since it is not without risk, but some withdraw fluid to relieve pressure and pain. If the problem is internal laying or salpingitis, then there is probably nothing that can be done. Has this hen been laying recently?
its more tight than squishy but its not hard. she hasnt been laying recently

Ascites is fairly common. I have seen it in some hens who I necropsied. The fluid is yellow or amber. If you try draining, it usually requires disinfection of the skin and 18 or 16 gauge needle. Here are some videos:

Okay thank you, but is there a way to know for sure that she has ascites before draining?

No, this one was sick a bit ago and I had a thread going for her then but she got better and now she has all these symptoms.
Sounds like she is having a relapse?

Okay thank you, but is there a way to know for sure that she has ascites before draining?
You can feel it, like a water balloon...draining is only a temp measure, IMO.

You could get an xray at the vets. Draining is a temporary solution to relieve pain or pressure, or ease breathing. It is invasive and not without risk. Some people like to drain, but if I had a hen with ascites, I might consider putting her down. Hens with ascites will not recover, but it may extend their lives. Here is a photo from @casportpony of a hen with a tight lower belly being drained (note the needle in place) :
upload_2019-11-30_19-36-18.jpeg

You could get an xray at the vets. Draining is a temporary solution to relieve pain or pressure, or ease breathing. It is invasive and not without risk. Some people like to drain, but if I had a hen with ascites, I might consider putting her down. Hens with ascites will not recover, but it may extend their lives. Here is a photo from @casportpony of a hen with a tight lower belly being drained (note the needle in place) :
View attachment 1971505
That looks like her abdomen and I dont know where to find a vet for poultry. ive looked everywhere but cant find one near. Putting her down isnt an option, i love her way too much and i'd be destroyed without her

Back
Top Bottom