Respiratory Issue

moosey

Songster
Nov 17, 2020
Washington State
Hi. This is my first encounter with a respiratory issue (but I've only had chickens for about 3 years). I've searched on the forums for info, and its all a little overwhelming. I have a 3 yo chicken who makes gurgle sounds when breathing. No mucus/bubbles from nostrils/eyes, no head shaking, a sneeze or cough every once in a while, a little less energy, less interested in grubs, and not as chatty as normal. This just started happening about 3 days ago. Treatment with VetRx last 2 evenings. She went into molt last fall and has not laid since then. She has had watery poo for about 6 months and we typically end up bathing her monthly and spraying her vent with Banixx. She gets a good balanced diet and probiotics in the food. We only have 3 chickens and the other 2 are not yet showing any signs. We are just about to introduce 3 new pullets (13 weeks old), but are holding off for now until we can figure out this respiratory thing. I've read about Tylan and want to make sure I'm getting the correct kind. It sounds like I can get the injectable and administer it orally. Finding a vet who sees chickens in this area is not likely. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You are going to need to get antobitics from a vet sadly. You can not get them anymore from tractor. You need to give it under the skin.

What breed is your hen? Is she some kind of production hybrid layer?

At her age, not laying for such a long time and runny poop for six months has me thinking about some kind of reproductive problem such as internal laying/EYP, salpingitis or cancer etc.

How does her lower abdomen look and feel? Is it swollen, hard or rather like a waterfilled balloon?

Hi. This is my first encounter with a respiratory issue (but I've only had chickens for about 3 years). I've searched on the forums for info, and its all a little overwhelming. I have a 3 yo chicken who makes gurgle sounds when breathing. No mucus/bubbles from nostrils/eyes, no head shaking, a sneeze or cough every once in a while, a little less energy, less interested in grubs, and not as chatty as normal. This just started happening about 3 days ago. Treatment with VetRx last 2 evenings. She went into molt last fall and has not laid since then. She has had watery poo for about 6 months and we typically end up bathing her monthly and spraying her vent with Banixx. She gets a good balanced diet and probiotics in the food. We only have 3 chickens and the other 2 are not yet showing any signs. We are just about to introduce 3 new pullets (13 weeks old), but are holding off for now until we can figure out this respiratory thing. I've read about Tylan and want to make sure I'm getting the correct kind. It sounds like I can get the injectable and administer it orally. Finding a vet who sees chickens in this area is not likely. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you need antibiotics like Tylan, there's still some available at tractor supply stores but you have to find the right location. I got mine today.

How does her crop feel? Is it full and puffy, hard or doughy? Can you check the crop in early morning before she has eaten. Sometimes when a chicken has gurgles, it can be from food coming back up from the crop into the throat.

How does her crop feel? Is it full and puffy, hard or doughy? Can you check the crop in early morning before she has eaten. Sometimes when a chicken has gurgles, it can be from food coming back up from the crop into the throat.
I will check out her crop tomorrow morning. What should it feel like normally?

What breed is your hen? Is she some kind of production hybrid layer?

At her age, not laying for such a long time and runny poop for six months has me thinking about some kind of reproductive problem such as internal laying/EYP, salpingitis or cancer etc.

How does her lower abdomen look and feel? Is it swollen, hard or rather like a waterfilled balloon?
She's a Rhode Island Red. Her abdomen looks fine, but we'll check it out this evening. Interesting, I have not heard of internal laying and just googled it. She doesn't have the 'penguin stance' and her poop is not yolk colored. I'll still check her out though

Back
Top Bottom