Respiratory Problem

LeeLeesFarm

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
So. California
---

So, if it turns out that my hen really does have a respiratory disease and not Gapeworm or a impacted crop, is the respiratory disease contagious to me as I handle her? Should I stop eating the eggs as well, in case of some other weird disease?
sad.png

She is squeeking a lot this evening with neck out-stretched and gasping / panting.

Thanks for any thoughts.

---

Quote:
A respiratory disease in a chicken is not contagious to a human and as far as I know you can eat the eggs. You could try treating her with a misting of Oxine that works if it is caused by fungus. Or you can treat other respiratory diseases with (0.5 CC for bantam or 1CC for Standard) injection of Tylan 50. Either of these treatments can work depending on what is causing it and how long it has been let go.
But it can be very contagious to all your other birds so she should be moved away from all the others. If she's been in with them the entire time she has been sick the rest may get it. If it is a respiratory disease and you manage to make her better she will always be a carrier. So any new birds
added to your future flock will get it. And it does sound to me from what I have read that it will reoccur.
Go to the disease section and type in respiratory disease. I've not had to deal with this so I hope this helps.

I lost my hen yesterday from some sort of respiratory problem. she was wheezing while breathing with mouth open. I began treating with Oxine in a vaporizer, but afraid I was a couple of weeks to late. If I had realized the problem sooner I may have been able to save her.
She had trouble breathing, no other signs at all.
Now my rooster doesn't seem right. He's been sitting a lot, not crowing. Shows no other signs. Breathing seems ok. No discharges. I will check him out this morning if he will let me pick him up. But if he lets me pick him up I know something's wrong, he doesn't like to be held, never did, even as a chick.

My cockatiel started doing that tonight, he's been going for 2 1/2 hours. Beak open, squeaking on the breath out, wheezing on the way in. Can they get gapeworm too?!!?!?! Don't know how he could catch he lives inside, is 8yrs old and I'm very careful with my hygiene between his cage, the aviary and the chickens coop...... I don't want him to die
hit.gif

Sorry. Don't mean to steal your thread, just worried about my little buddy.

I got a hen a few months ago that had a respiratory infection, she was just sneezing though. After a week I tried giving her an ivy extract via syringe into her mouth three times a day. It's a natural "mucus loosener", also added Grape seed extract their water (anti fungal, anti bacteria, and viral properties) and she was better in a few days. Another hen got it but she was only sick for two days because I got right onto it with the ivy extract and GSE.

Animalian,, I would start treatment asap.....I did not and lost my hen. She was doing the same thing as yours. I started her on Oxine treatment but it was way too late. I have heard that there is a lot of Fungal infections out there. causing labored breathing, wheezing etc.
Good luck with him.

Problem is I have nothing to give him. All these things you guys buy at the grain store I can't find here in Oz. It's 11pm here and I'm sitting on the other side of the door to the room he's in, he's gone quiet but I don't want to check on him in case he starts up again.

Will be taking him to the vet in the morning if he's still going, if he's quiet I'll take him in the afternoon. I can't really afford to miss work but will if he's still in distress.

Silkie_Sue:
A respiratory disease in a chicken is not contagious to a human and as far as I know you can eat the eggs. You could try treating her with a misting of Oxine that works if it is caused by fungus. Or you can treat other respiratory diseases with (0.5 CC for bantam or 1CC for Standard) injection of Tylan 50. Either of these treatments can work depending on what is causing it and how long it has been let go.
But it can be very contagious to all your other birds so she should be moved away from all the others. If she's been in with them the entire time she has been sick the rest may get it. If it is a respiratory disease and you manage to make her better she will always be a carrier. So any new birds
added to your future flock will get it. And it does sound to me from what I have read that it will reoccur.
Go to the disease section and type in respiratory disease. I've not had to deal with this so I hope this helps.

___

Thanks Silkie_Sue for the input.

While watching the hen this a.m., she seems fine today. So I am hoping it was just something stuck in the crop yesterday!!! I sure don't want to think of a respiratory disease and that all the hens are infected!!!! Good to know a resp. disease wouldn't be contagious to me tho.

Good luck to Animalian and SO SORRY to florida lee.

Whats with all the resp diseases lately? Are these more than usual!!?? Seems like a lot affecting so many people in all differing geo-areas right now!
sad.png

P.S...I put a Tblspn Apple Cider Vinegar in the hens water this a.m. as this was one thing I read to do in my hours of re-search last night. just for Animalian's info .... ???

Lee
___​

Back
Top Bottom