Respiratory Symptom?

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
I have a 2 year old rhode island red who is having respiratory symptoms. She is having labored breathing (she's not opening her beak, but her breaths are very deep and very noticeable), and every breath sounds like gurgling, crackling, and phlegmy. It almost sounds like she aspirated but it's gotten worse after 3 days of monitoring without treatment. She has no other symptoms, she is eating and drinking, walking around, no coughing, no sneezing, no bubbles in the eyes, no gaping beak, none of that. She has not laid an egg in months but her abdomen isn't swollen, no egg substance coming from her vent, or any indication that she's egg bound or anything. Her crop felt kind of empty last night before she went to sleep and feels the same this morning. Her feathers also look a little scruffy and like they haven't been maintained as well as the other chickens'.

She does have greenish/yellowish poop crusted under her vent and all the chickens have a bout of vent gleet that I've been trying to treat with ACV, greek yogurt, and probiotics.

I did treat my sick girl with VetRx and Baytril this morning. None of the other chickens have symptoms, so I did separate her for now.

Should I just continue with the Baytril? Is it okay to give her yogurt and probiotics along with the Baytril?

Any advice is welcomed..

Back
Top Bottom