Resque chicken ID

Quote:
I never thought about the old age thing...
I had heard they bleach out when they get old - but I never realized they get that white.

1. Barred Rock (If an older bird...she looks older to me considering the floppy comb. As the Barred Rocks age, their combs can flop over. Good indication of age.)

Actually, I have several Barred Rocks and a New Hampshire whose combs lay flat on their heads, and I mean FLAT, never had stood up. These girls just started laying and are 25 weeks old. It's an individual difference, really, not an indication of age. Most of the time they will stand up their whole lives, in my experience. Since white skin is dominant, either that first hen is a Cuckoo Marans or a cross of the two breeds, IMO.​

Last edited:
That's odd. All of my RIR and Barred Rocks combs didn't flop over until at least 4 years old.

I wonder if your birds didn't come from a line that had overly large combs in the hens and male line?

I think they are around 2 years old. When I first picked her up I instantly said she was a cuckoo maran but then I questioned myself after I looked at photo's of others. She's pretty beefy like a Barred Rock but her legs and flesh are white, no yellow, even on the bottoms of her feet. Could she be a silver cuckoo?? She was probably bought at TSC.
IMG_2496.jpg

The person I picked them up from said they bought the duck last year from TSC (she may have meant this past spring). He/She does look very similiar to your pic's Smartie_Pants (loved those pics), though it's beak is yellow and green. Do they get greener as they age?? No curly feathers. When do ducks lay??
IMG_2498.jpg

chicken stalker ;p :

I think they are around 2 years old. When I first picked her up I instantly said she was a cuckoo maran but then I questioned myself after I looked at photo's of others. She's pretty beefy like a Barred Rock but her legs and flesh are white, no yellow, even on the bottoms of her feet. Could she be a silver cuckoo?? She was probably bought at TSC.
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/chicken2008_photos/IMG_2496.jpg

The person I picked them up from said they bought the duck last year from TSC (she may have meant this past spring). He/She does look very similiar to your pic's Smartie_Pants (loved those pics), though it's beak is yellow and green. Do they get greener as they age?? No curly feathers. When do ducks lay??
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/chicken2008_photos/IMG_2498.jpg

It just depends on the individual duck. I have had some that always kept the same color beak and some that went from a real bright yellow to a muddy green (and vice versa.) They can change as the duck grows older, but not always.​

Usually somewhere around 6-8 months old, but if she was born this spring she may wait until next spring to start laying. Most of the one's I have kept laid through the winter. If she isn't laying now try giving her some layer feed and oyster shell. The stress of her previous bad conditions and probable mal-nutrition may keep her from laying for a little while.

I think they were still giving her grower b/c they thought it was a he. They named him Donald but I guess it's Daisy now
big_smile.png
I believe she was also in a tight pen because when I first let her out she was spinning in circles like she was trapped. She is now in a 12x12 fenced in area with a large plastic bin (one of those ones that slide under a bed) for a swimming pool. She went swimming today and was splashed everywhere. I swear the water was going 10ft in the air. She was a happy camper.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom