Resting question!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Eckielady, May 23, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We are raising our first group of meat birds so this will be quite an experience. We are off grid with no running water so things are a bit trickier up here but we're figuring all that out. The one thing really stumping me- HOW do people possibly butcher a bunch of chickens and let them "rest" in the fridge for a couple days? Even a normal sized fridge couldn't possibly fit that much. What am I missing?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Ice chest

Birdinhand likes this.
  3. Nitro187

Nitro187 New Egg

May 23, 2017
    How many are you butchering? An ice chest will work if you're doing a few. I bought one of those cheep chest freezers from Costco that I have on a thermostat that I keep at resting temp until I get ready to freeze. Look on Craigslist and you should be able to find a cheap or even free fridge.

4. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We have 12 that will be butchered. We do have a freezer but it's not hooked up yet. Working on that. We have a large cooler. I can just use that with ice water?

5. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Just keep them on ice with the drain open, no water like you would a deer or a hog.

Leave a LightOn likes this.
  6. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Okay, glad I asked. I saw a video the other day of one in ice water.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can also just butcher a couple at a time. Much easier if this is your first time.
    If they're CornishX, butcher the first 2 at 3.5-4 weeks as Cornish game hens. If they're a slower maturing bird like a freedom ranger you can wait another week. Then 3 or 4 more each week till they're all done.
    If you don't rest before freezing (preferred), you can rest after thawed to disipate the rigor.

8. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    They are red rangers. I thought it was around 10-12 weeks?
    I talked to my husband about splitting the group in half a few days apart but he seemed hesitant. I get why as we both would rather have one yucky day and get it over with but I'm not sure how we'll do it.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, red rangers grow slower.
    But I did 50 freedom rangers that are similar. I couldn't have done them all myself so I taught 2 classes for our chicken meetup group. We did 20+ at about 4-5 weeks, then did the rest in the next class at about 9+ weeks and some were too big for the vacuum seal bags.

10. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I have an extra fridge in the basement that I will let any butchered birds rest in. Most I've had in there at one time was 6 but it could easily hold twice that many.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by