Restitution for Killed Chickens

I agree with Moonshiner and Mowin. And if your chickens were pets, you might also consider asking for additional $$$ for sentimental value due to the loss of companionship and the deep emotional pain you are clearly suffering.

The other day, the dog of our neighbors came in our yard and killed 7 of our hens(1 Dark Brahma, 1 Buff Brahma, 2 BO, 1 Delaware, 1 BR, and 1 BGL Wyandotte). I had four 7 week old BCM chicks who were free-ranging with the broody who hatched them somehow escape (Thank God!). We live in a rural area and the neighbors are 1 mile away from us. The dog has been over 3 times over the past 3 years. First time, he killed a 12 year old cat of ours (which the neighbors were notified of). Second time, we caught him before he could do any damage. Now the third time, he managed to kill 7 of our hens while injuring 2 others and tearing all of my rooster's tail feathers out. The sheriffs office was called and a deputy came out to take pictures and file a report, which he told us we were entitled to restitution. The neighbor is willing to make things right with us. I know this has been discussed many many times here, but what's the best way of going about this? Would it be fair to ask for a flat fee per hen (something like 20 dollars) plus the cost of loss egg production until I can get new layers? Winter is coming so I won't be getting anymore chicks until spring time and they won't start laying until fall of that year, which would add up to a loss of 1 year of eggs per hen. I probably sell around 15-20 dozen a month at $3 per dozen. Thanks in advance for any input! Can't believe that despite living in a wooded area with raccoons, skunks, oppossums, etc, it was a dog of all things to kill a third of my flock.
I'll try to send you a DM. In a past job, I did this sort of calculation.

The other day, the dog of our neighbors came in our yard and killed 7 of our hens(1 Dark Brahma, 1 Buff Brahma, 2 BO, 1 Delaware, 1 BR, and 1 BGL Wyandotte). I had four 7 week old BCM chicks who were free-ranging with the broody who hatched them somehow escape (Thank God!). We live in a rural area and the neighbors are 1 mile away from us. The dog has been over 3 times over the past 3 years. First time, he killed a 12 year old cat of ours (which the neighbors were notified of). Second time, we caught him before he could do any damage. Now the third time, he managed to kill 7 of our hens while injuring 2 others and tearing all of my rooster's tail feathers out. The sheriffs office was called and a deputy came out to take pictures and file a report, which he told us we were entitled to restitution. The neighbor is willing to make things right with us. I know this has been discussed many many times here, but what's the best way of going about this? Would it be fair to ask for a flat fee per hen (something like 20 dollars) plus the cost of loss egg production until I can get new layers? Winter is coming so I won't be getting anymore chicks until spring time and they won't start laying until fall of that year, which would add up to a loss of 1 year of eggs per hen. I probably sell around 15-20 dozen a month at $3 per dozen. Thanks in advance for any input! Can't believe that despite living in a wooded area with raccoons, skunks, oppossums, etc, it was a dog of all things to kill a third of my flock.
I had a Doberman for years and now I have chickens, Silkies to make it harder but I'd probably tackle a hawk, dive at a coyote or even punch a neighbors dog for taking valuable little lives. You get justice and it's the careless owners of that pet who don't make sure it's not getting into trouble who owe you $1000 per chicken - growing chick,feeding chicks, supplying sanctuary, loss/$ each hen not laying and the endless hours looking for chickens at dark with flashlights!!! Retribution

I had a Doberman for years and now I have chickens, Silkies to make it harder but I'd probably tackle a hawk, dive at a coyote or even punch a neighbors dog for taking valuable little lives. You get justice and it's the careless owners of that pet who don't make sure it's not getting into trouble who owe you $1000 per chicken - growing chick,feeding chicks, supplying sanctuary, loss/$ each hen not laying and the endless hours looking for chickens at dark with flashlights!!! Retribution
Can these beasts be fenced out or is itout of range with layout or cost?

Can these beasts be fenced out or is itout of range with layout or cost?
I'm mad at this, neighbors should respect and honor another. Well I'm a custom home carpenter and I'll offer any labor I can to help keep safe all egg layer birds and other barn animals from an asshole dog owner who simply opens the door in the am and hopes they come home in the pm. Send up a zip code if u need help..

I realize this is an older post but for those who are unaware the state reimburses people for losses to livestock killed if reported to the county officials where you live.I'm not sure how its done as I've never submitted a claim sorry.( the claim has to be reported to the county commissioners)

Back
Top Bottom