Restitution for Killed Chickens

ChickenChaser13

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
Minnesota
The other day, the dog of our neighbors came in our yard and killed 7 of our hens(1 Dark Brahma, 1 Buff Brahma, 2 BO, 1 Delaware, 1 BR, and 1 BGL Wyandotte). I had four 7 week old BCM chicks who were free-ranging with the broody who hatched them somehow escape (Thank God!). We live in a rural area and the neighbors are 1 mile away from us. The dog has been over 3 times over the past 3 years. First time, he killed a 12 year old cat of ours (which the neighbors were notified of). Second time, we caught him before he could do any damage. Now the third time, he managed to kill 7 of our hens while injuring 2 others and tearing all of my rooster's tail feathers out. The sheriffs office was called and a deputy came out to take pictures and file a report, which he told us we were entitled to restitution. The neighbor is willing to make things right with us. I know this has been discussed many many times here, but what's the best way of going about this? Would it be fair to ask for a flat fee per hen (something like 20 dollars) plus the cost of loss egg production until I can get new layers? Winter is coming so I won't be getting anymore chicks until spring time and they won't start laying until fall of that year, which would add up to a loss of 1 year of eggs per hen. I probably sell around 15-20 dozen a month at $3 per dozen. Thanks in advance for any input! Can't believe that despite living in a wooded area with raccoons, skunks, oppossums, etc, it was a dog of all things to kill a third of my flock.

I disagree. You are entitled to the replacement value of what was lost.
If simular hens (breed and age) go for $20 in your area then that's what you ask.
You get what it would cost you to replace now. You can take that and buy the same as you had and be back in the egg business. If you would rather wait till spring and buy chicks then that's on you.

I disagree. You are entitled to the replacement value of what was lost.
If simular hens (breed and age) go for $20 in your area then that's what you ask.
You get what it would cost you to replace now. You can take that and buy the same as you had and be back in the egg business. If you would rather wait till spring and buy chicks then that's on you.
I lost bunch sweet corn 1 year to neighbors cattle. We sell the sweet corn, Could not ask for what I could of had, just what I had. Many years ago this happened. Do not remember if I asked for legal advice or if I used computer for similar situation. the cattle also stepped on some of my daughters toys and smashed them.
I called the sheriff because I know the people and he is squirmy shall i say, he would try slim his way out of it.
if I remember correctly I charged for the seed, fuel, added wear tear from equipment, some of the electric fencing was ruined and my daughters toys. Now I remember I was not allowed to bill for my time for some reason.

use craigslist, facebook marketplace see if you can find some laying hens or what they cost in your area to replace. If you were to acquire some laying hens rather fast maybe you could charge for some lost production. If you drag your feet I would say not. Also possible if things got sticky the person may ask for receipts of your eggs to show you sell them.

As for my sweet corn. how do I know I would have sold all the corn, I do not know if a hail storm could have wiped my corn out and is the same for your birds. Do you know your birds would have all lived another year, would you have had the egg production and nothing go wrong?

I agree with moonshiner.

You might be only limited by law to replacement, but I'd try for more. Neighbor might be willing to pay it. My theory, make it hurt the neighbor, no don't gouge them, but make it hurt enough that hopefully they work harder at keeping fido home.

Not saying you would go this route, but if legal in your area to eliminate the dog killing your livestock, make sure they realize how lucky they are that fido was able to come home. A different neighbor might have taken a different approach.
I'd have the sheriff deliver that message.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation. Neighbors 3 dogs kept coming on our property. I made a few complaints and not much happened. One day they came on to property, and into our fenced orchard and killed a few hens. We got restitution and the owner was required by the city to either fully fence her yard or get rid of the dogs. She got rid of the dogs.

A Judge Judy episode I saw, gave the chicken owner 100.00 per dead bird. This person had video of neighbors dogs getting through a fenced in chicken yard and killing 40 birds
She was asking the owner of the dead Birds how much the birds cost, and he said " your Honor we raised them from eggs we hatched and spent a year to get them to starting prime egg laying age.
Dog owner tried all the usual excuses to get out of paying anything
It didn't work!
😁

Back
Top Bottom