!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

We are dog owners and love our Boston Terrier he is family. BUT if a neighbor dog gets in our yard killing our ducks, chickens, geese, quail ect I will have zero choice but to take my shoot gun and put their dog down. In Texas I would have every right to do so too. I recently had a good neighbor friend who has taken in a pit for a lady friend and it keeps jumping his high fence and running around. I warned him that I am sorry but it gets in my yard its dead and he said he understands I have to protect my animals and property to go ahead. Dog owners have a responsibility to others around them too.

We are dog owners and love our Boston Terrier he is family. BUT if a neighbor dog gets in our yard killing our ducks, chickens, geese, quail ect I will have zero choice but to take my shoot gun and put their dog down. In Texas I would have every right to do so too. I recently had a good neighbor friend who has taken in a pit for a lady friend and it keeps jumping his high fence and running around. I warned him that I am sorry but it gets in my yard its dead and he said he understands I have to protect my animals and property to go ahead. Dog owners have a responsibility to others around them too.
I can't fathom why a dog owner would bother keeping a dog they don't have time to watch or keep up . People be so callous.

I never said otherwise. Nobody is telling you not to protect your livestock, but a lot of those laws aren't as cut and dry as "I can do and shoot whatever I want" either.
It was not as simple as you seem to think. I did not just "do and shoot whatever I want" I did not want to kill the dog, but make him afraid to keep coming to my house. That was the third chicken he carried off in his mouth. A little bird shot may cause a little bit of discomfort, but no where near some of the things some comments suggested. I would absolutely NOT want to kill a dog. I went to the neighbor, he did nothing, telling me to do what I needed to do. I have read the law....it specifically says its intent was for commercial places and slaughter houses that are cruel and inhumane to animals. Just because they are meant for food, doesn't mean you can be cruel. And chickens in tiny cages that all they do is lay eggs. That to me is the most cruel to a chicken. They need to scratch and forage. I just prevented a Rooster from going to someone who uses them not for food, but for the enjoyment of crowds. This is another terrible abuse. And that law was not even a thought at that time. I wish it had been. I have seen some terrible things done, usually by the owner of the animal. I used to put on a horse show. I called a sheriff to be at my shows after seeing some terrible abuse done just so people could win. One in particular I asked not to come back, her horse was in terrible pain constantly and then beat because he acted up from the pain. People like that should not be allowed to own an animal.

Last edited:
First, let me say I am so sorry you have gone through this. As a former pittie mom (our 14 yo boy crossed the rainbow bridge at the end of last year), here are a few things that most don't realize about owning these dogs. THEY ARE SMART. They CAN have above-average prey drive. They love chasing anything that runs and can get into serious trouble with neighbors for various reasons if not adequately contained. We NEVER let ours loose without a leash, and if he did slip the door, it was all hands on deck to round him up, not because of a danger to humans but to other animals. We knew this and did everything we could to mitigate the possibility he would get loose. Regardless of your feelings toward the breed, it is the humans at fault for not properly containing the dog and/or knowing where he/she is at ALL times. Once a dog of any breed has shown that they tend to go after other animals, the owners MUST begin working with the dog to break this habit; if they feel they can't do this, they need to review their containment options and fix them. Ultimately, the owners are at fault. As to ways to keep the dog out, I don't have suggestions other than the ones previous posters have suggested. Electric fences would be a great deterrent.

I agree with the other guys at this point it’s time to take matters into ur own hands of the dog won’t stop and the family won’t stop it it’s time to put it down

I had a pack of 3 dogs kill my chickens.
A day or two later the dogs returned.
I knew they were likely to return so I was carrying a rifle with me in case they do.
The dogs were a pitbull mix and 2 chihuahuas. As soon as I got close enough to them I shot the pitbull.
I will kill any dog that goes after my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom