!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

That's so sad. That was a frequent occurrence at one place we lived in the country. The neighbors dog kept coming over and grabbing my hens. I talked to the neighbor and told him to keep the dog away from my home or I would shoot him. We were about 1/8 mile from this guy. The dog made it a point to keep coming back. The neighbor just said, do what you have to do. I used a rifle and put bird shot in it. I didn't want to kill the dog, but I wanted to keep him away. He grabbed a hen a few days later and I got a good shot in his rear. He dropped the hen and never came back. If your comfortable with something like that, it may work. I imagine it took him awhile to lick out all that buck shot.
I am just a bit confused, so please enlighten me.
You shot the offending animal with a rifle, that shoots birdshot but the dog is going to have to lick out buckshot?

Hello. I haven’t been online in a few months because everything was going wonderfully. My babies were nearly a year old.

Earlier today we saw my neighbors dog walking off with our male duck hanging out of its mouth.

Long story short, this the third time something like this has happened. The dog killed an entire group of chickens a few years back and then killed 2/3 of our replacements.

Our neighbors agreed to keep the dog on a shock collar and they’ve warned us once when then dog has went missing so we can keep an eye out. No issues because we were able to lock everyone up in the barn. However, today the owner knowingly let the dog run loose without a collar and now my four ducks are dead.

The last time this happened, we contacted animal control and they told us there was nothing they could do and we would have to handle it privately. Our neighbor “paid us off” with a $50 gift card and after contacting her today, she offered to pay again. However, this does not fix the issue. My pets are dead, they refuse to take responsibility for their pet, and we have other animals that could potentially be at risk.

For context, we live in KY and not in city limits. Our animals are not free roam and stay in the barn or a fenced in area. The dog get in the fence each time. Not sure how, but he does. We’ve checked so many times to figure out how this dog has access and we couldn’t figure it out. It wasn’t an issue when the dog was on a collar.

Sorry for being so scattered because I’m very upset. I just need to know what I should do. I’m 20 and autistic, so I have a very hard time confronting people. Plus, I have never dealt with something like this.
In my country, if it happens to much, police gets involved and the dog gets shot since they will do it again after they did it twice. I don’t know what to say to you… I love animals, but when a dog would kill my chicken I would just shoot it if I could. Is there an alarm you could buy or something that could scare the dog off? I’ve seen stories of people who bought big Pyrenees that were trained to protect livestock, not sure if that would be a realistic option tho… It is super irresponsible of the owners to not have a collar on the dog. I don’t know what you could do if animal control tells you there’s nothing you can do… aren’t there any rules where you live for dogs?

Regarding advocating shooting the offending dog:

1. Please do not underestimate how much worse that could make matters. Are you prepared for the fallout of that action? Retaliation? Legal/civil action? Retaliation could be quite destructive or deadly.

2. Do you have the marksmanship skills to perform a clean kill? Not leave the dog mortally wounded and suffering?

3. Have you documented the problem thoroughly with the proper authorities? If the dog's owner (or the law) comes after you, defense is going to be a lot harder without that documentation of past problems.

Just throwing out things to consider regarding such actions.

That's so sad. That was a frequent occurrence at one place we lived in the country. The neighbors dog kept coming over and grabbing my hens. I talked to the neighbor and told him to keep the dog away from my home or I would shoot him. We were about 1/8 mile from this guy. The dog made it a point to keep coming back. The neighbor just said, do what you have to do. I used a rifle and put bird shot in it. I didn't want to kill the dog, but I wanted to keep him away. He grabbed a hen a few days later and I got a good shot in his rear. He dropped the hen and never came back. If your comfortable with something like that, it may work. I imagine it took him awhile to lick out all that buck shot.

1. A rifle does not take bird shot/shot shells. Those go in a shotgun.

2. Bird shot and buck shot are not the same thing.

3. Depending on how close, a dog will not just be "licking out all of that xxx shot". More likely, a dog is going to end up at the vet getting small steel balls dug out of it's skin, and the shooter is going to be presented with the vet bill. It is also quite likely the shooter will catch charges.

4. Birdshot sprays. No guarantees the hind end is where a dog will be hit. Are you willing to blind a dog? Do other damage? Leave permanent damage. Cause infection if the animal is not taken to the vet?

Hello. I haven’t been online in a few months because everything was going wonderfully. My babies were nearly a year old.

Earlier today we saw my neighbors dog walking off with our male duck hanging out of its mouth.

Long story short, this the third time something like this has happened. The dog killed an entire group of chickens a few years back and then killed 2/3 of our replacements.

Our neighbors agreed to keep the dog on a shock collar and they’ve warned us once when then dog has went missing so we can keep an eye out. No issues because we were able to lock everyone up in the barn. However, today the owner knowingly let the dog run loose without a collar and now my four ducks are dead.

The last time this happened, we contacted animal control and they told us there was nothing they could do and we would have to handle it privately. Our neighbor “paid us off” with a $50 gift card and after contacting her today, she offered to pay again. However, this does not fix the issue. My pets are dead, they refuse to take responsibility for their pet, and we have other animals that could potentially be at risk.

For context, we live in KY and not in city limits. Our animals are not free roam and stay in the barn or a fenced in area. The dog get in the fence each time. Not sure how, but he does. We’ve checked so many times to figure out how this dog has access and we couldn’t figure it out. It wasn’t an issue when the dog was on a collar.

Sorry for being so scattered because I’m very upset. I just need to know what I should do. I’m 20 and autistic, so I have a very hard time confronting people. Plus, I have never dealt with something like this.

I would check out the local laws about eliminating the threat once it breaches your property . If you can lawfully shoot to kill, I would notify the neighbors that if your dog enters the property again, you will terminate it's threat.

Back
Top Bottom