All Hens killed by Dog

Pics

nashua

Songster
5 Years
Nov 18, 2018
I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think

I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know.
For damages, that would presumably cover the cost of repairing the coop (materials, and maybe the cost to hire someone to do the work), and also the cost of replacing the chickens (cost of comparable adult chickens, or chicks + feed + bedding + all other costs to raise the chicks to laying age.) If you are using the cost of adult chickens, keep in mind the "comparable" part: the cheapest ones on your local craigslist may not be the same breed, age, health status, laying ability, etc.

And you can probably add the value of the eggs you would have gotten between the killing, and when you next have chickens laying eggs (time to raise chicks, or time to repair the pen and then buy new adult hens.) Of course you would compare with the most similar eggs (brown, organic, free range, cage-free, small family farm, or whatever else is correct for the chickens you had and the way you were keeping them.)

I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think
I agree, that dog will probably come back.

The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.

I would keep the cameras running, to document if/when the dogs comes back.

If the owner is ordered to confine the dogs, and the dogs come back again anyway, that could have consequences (like maybe the owner having to get rid of the dogs. Or at least the owner having to pay a big fine.) It is probably nicer for you if that happens before you get new chickens (because the chickens are not in danger if you do not have them yet.)

I have added all suggestions people have made to the list for my lawyer. I called Humane Law Enforcement, but the officer in charge of my case is on Vacation until next week. The attorney will send the dog owner a demand letter today. I mostly care about enforcing consequences and getting his irresponsibility on the legal record. Today I realized how much I miss them in my life. I felt so God Awful sad! I am waiting until things are safer to get more hens. Just thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to support and offer help. It has meant quite a lot.

We have pretty strong laws and my lawyer just sent him the letter. That is how I am going to handle it now because he does not keep them confined.
One last thing I thought of, and this is important:
I was on the phone with sheriff dispatch as we arrived home and I told her I was going down to the coop hoping for a survivor. She told me not to go and that when dogs are killing they can attack a human coming on the scene. The officers arrived shortly after.

Back
Top Bottom