Caught and Relocated a Raccoon

I read that it’s better to not kill or remove any predators and beef up security instead (secure coop, run, LGDs…), because it’s better to have a predator in your area that has been frustrated or scared off and given up on getting to your livestock than a never ending parade of new predators (because the niche will be filled again) that will each challenge your defenses again and might be successful before you know they are even there… A The devil you know is better than the devil that you don’t kind of thing.
What blithering idiot wrote that? What you kill doesn't come back to plague your livestock. Seriously, if that came from some article ... what periodical is that idiotic? Dispatch your current predators and dispatch those that follow.

We live in deep rural Missouri.

Last year we had a cat and a pet rabbit dumped on us. I was able to catch the rabbit. It was beautiful and I was able to rehome it but the cat killed at least one, maybe two of my free range roosters that was roosting in the hay loft before I was able to catch it. I was able to rehome it also.

2 of our 6 dogs were dumped on us when they were just puppies 7 weeks old. We never turn away a dog or kitten that shows up on our doorstep. But after losing 1-2 pet roosters to a full grown cat I doubt if I will be as 'understanding' of an adult one should I be able to catch it in my live trap in the future.

Seems like people drive by, say, oh look, these homes look Amish, Amish LOVE animals quick stop and leave it (whatever they don't want) here, it will have a good home.

Truth be told, nope, not all Amish are welcoming to stray animals and not all Amish treat their animals that well. Our other 4 dogs came as rescues from an Amish puppy mill.

I agree. The best way to deal with any 'coon, 'possum or any other wildlife that is preying on your chickens is a quick SSS shoot shovel and shut up. Don't make it somebody else's problem to deal with. We have enough challenges where we live that we don't need any more. Luckily, in Missouri any wild animal that is considered a threat to livestock can be shot on sight with the exception of birds of prey. As the conservation agent I talked to about a fox problem told me, don't try to catch it in a live trap. You can't out fox a fox.

I don't enjoy shooting any varmint that I catch that is a potential threat to my birds but it is something that if you live rural and you keep chickens or any other live stock that you have to learn to deal with.
I have an acquaintance that is a trapper. I'd estimate that over 1/3 of his income comes from his pelts and fur trade. He catches many foxes. Uses leg traps. When running his traps, he shoots the trapped foxes, using only a .22 rimfire, in order to preserve the fur.

Define "live trap". The leg traps keep them alive until dispatched.

I use any method of killing 'coons that are available. From shootin' the bastids to the old Golden Malrin cola trick. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of Golden Malrin changed their formula, placing some ingredient that 'coons are repelled. Perhaps, for the smell or taste.

In 2013, which was prior to the reformulation, I killed 139 (that were counted ... who knows how many left prior to their demise). Shot around another thirty (37 to be exact). Shined and shot two, just last night ...

I know that I've lowered the population, but they're still overruning my backyard and out buildings.

Coyotes are another story. I enjoy shootin' 'yotes. For raccoons, I just sit outside on my lower patio and shine 'em. 'yotes, on the other hand, I'll either stock my wooded areas or take a stand by my creek. Those blasted 'yotes are nasty critters.
We have our share of coyotes here also but we have never had them come up to the house or barnyard.

This past summer I lost three pet roosters to a Coyote, two of them favorites of mine and two I hatched myself in my incubator. I didn't take kindly to the vixen feeding her kits with my pets. I have a feeling she saw my husband stalking about with hunting rifles and took off for better and safer hunting grounds.

I have a hot wire around my coop that keeps possums and racoons at bay. In fact my husband just presented me with an early Christmas present, A new charger for my system. In fact I highly recommend anyone who has a problem with predators hanging around their runs or coops consider a hot wire for their flock protection.

And NO, it will not harm the chickens. If they get on it they don't like it. They will hop and squawk a bit but I've had bantams step on mine and they learn pretty fast to stay off of it.

You can train racoons really fast by hanging pieces of raw bacon over the hot wire.

You killed HOW MANY RACOONS?! :bow

I have an acquaintance that is a trapper. I'd estimate that over 1/3 of his income comes from his pelts and fur trade. He catches many foxes. Uses leg traps. When running his traps, he shoots the trapped foxes, using only a .22 rimfire, in order to preserve the fur.

Define "live trap". The leg traps keep them alive until dispatched.
Yep.

4 years ago we had a vixen feeding her kits off of the area flocks. We knew where her den was after the fact. She was hold up under a neighbor's hunting cabin and he said we wouldn't believe the pile of chicken bones under it.

I told him I would. I wasn't free ranging at the time but our neighbor lost their whole flock to her and we were finding guinea feathers all over our property.

I called the conservation department and learned that we could shoot any predator that was taking livestock and yes, chickens were considered to be live stock. I asked him about live trapping her and he said nope, only way to catch a fox was to use a leg trap.

Afterwards I got the word out to the local Amish boys that if they saw her to take her out. She and her kits disappeared. I found her litter's footprints all around my run in muddy areas but my hot wire kept them out.

My kind hearted neighbor live trapped and relocated raccoons for several years that were raiding her coop. After about a dozen relocations she noticed that one of the coons she'd caught looked kinda familiar.... So she took a good photo and noticed one ear was scarred, nicked really. And relocated him. And 2 weeks later she caught him again.... Yup, they'd traveled several miles and were happily back and raiding her coop again, got her best laying hen. Mary was very kind, but not THAT kind. She never said much but I rather think the next trapping didn't end well for Mr. Chicken Killer.
So just be aware, relocating a raccoon may result in several unwanted results. One, they may find their way back. Or two, you may have dumped them on another farmers door step and they are not going to thank you. Or three, you upset another eco system and the raccoon either was killed trying to gain a new territory to live in or had to kill another raccoon to gain their territory.
Country coons don't really share territory with non family well. They will fight to keep strangers out.

I doubt this raccoon will ever see another trap, another human or another chicken. He is living on the Flint River now. Watch the following video. If you see any neighbors I’ve put in danger, any cities where he might travel or any other danger I have released on my fellow Georgians, let me know. You will have a better chance of seeing an alligator on this river than a person unless you are on Lake Blackshear which is 40 miles south of here. My neighbors will bear no consequences of my actions.

Raccoon paradise lol

Back
Top Bottom