Caught and Relocated a Raccoon

What would y’all think of us burying a fox that had gotten hit because we felt sorry for him even though he’d tried to get our chickens a couple weeks before :)?
Oh I feel bad for all the animals I kill. I thank God that I was able to do it and apologize to them. But I am the top predator. I thank the ones I eat.

Agree. Here it's 'live and let live' unless it can't be that way. And we don't trap and relocate, we have a good coop and small safe run, which makes a huge difference for our chickens.
Mary

Last edited:
What blithering idiot wrote that? What you kill doesn't come back to plague your livestock. Seriously, if that came from some article ... what periodical is that idiotic? Dispatch your current predators and dispatch those that follow.
I suspect the author would change their mind if they had to clean up the bloody mess.

Here is a story that happened about 6-7 years ago. One evening I went to the coop 10 feet away from the chain link fence, there are a family of coon about 4-5 (1 large, and some medium size). They are looking at me and laughing over the chain link fence. Well, that night I set up the live trap and caught the fattest and largest 1. I took care the largest one and never seen any of them again.

Yeah, not an idiot, but actually an experienced, knowledgeable person. Maybe reread what I wrote. You are having to deal with fewer attacks that way, not more. Of course securing your coop and run is key…
Most predators aren't a threat when you have predator proof coops and runs (I know because I have both!) But to assume you will never have to kill predators is naive because clearly some predators are dangerous.

For example, the last raccoon I shot was obviously neurological, and in my barn. He tested negative for rabies and canine distemper, and had abcesses throughout his brain, poor guy. No way to tell while alive, and i did him a favor.
Any opossum in my barn is dead, because they carry EPM, a very bad disease for horses. One of mine survived two episodes, and was an unridable pasture pet the rest of her life.
Mary

I doubt this raccoon will ever see another trap, another human or another chicken. He is living on the Flint River now. Watch the following video. If you see any neighbors I’ve put in danger, any cities where he might travel or any other danger I have released on my fellow Georgians, let me know. You will have a better chance of seeing an alligator on this river than a person unless you are on Lake Blackshear which is 40 miles south of here. My neighbors will bear no consequences of my actions.

There's already wildlife living in there. Which means the raccoon you released into there is in some other animals' territory. Best case is for the raccoon you released is it survives and displaces some other animal such as a fox, opossum, or other raccoon, which in turns displaces another animal, etc. until eventually one of those displaced critters wanders into somebody's back yard.

So yes, TECHNICALLY that raccoon you released doesn't become somebody else's problem, but some other predator does.

More likely, what happens is that that raccoon doesn't find a territory of its own and starves to death or gets eaten by something else. In which case you still killed it, only slowly, more painfully, and you wasted a hour or two of your time and some gas in killing it.

Back
Top Bottom