restoring my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Havana, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Havana

Havana Just Hatched

Feb 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This wwas the hardest thing to move like ever! However it cost me $70 and since I am no carpenter I would never be able to build a frame like that. I am wanting to sand it down and put a coat of weather proof paint, touch up the roosts and make the nesting box area a bit more cozy. Does anyone know how long I should wait before I put the hens in after a coat of paint, a good clean and a disinfection? And are there any tips for stabilizing the frame a bit more? It tends to lean when not sitting on the ground correctly and seems like if someone leans on it it will come crashing down! I knew the risks of buying an old coop like this but I cannot afford nor will my husband agree to spending $700+ for a new coop! So im stuck with turning this into the hilton for my girls!

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    If it is not treated lumber, I would attach treated 2x4's or 2x6's underneath for the coop to set on. For added stability, you could install diagonal braces at each of the corners. I might use a power washer to prep for painting rather than to spend the time sanding.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Nice score for $70, maybe you can add some bracing in the corners after you get it squared up.I painted the inside of mine and the smell was gone in a couple of days, that chicken wire will hold them in but will not keep predators out so maybe some hardware cloth around the entire bottom to keep heads in and paws out. Nice find.

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Looks good to me. It's just needs a little TLC. I would replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth as soon as you can. Please post a picture when you have it all fixed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by