Restricting feed for Cornish Cross chicks?

Mtnmomma3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
I was told to take the feed out of the brooder every night so the Cornish Xs don't eat themselves to death.
However, they are absolutely ravenous after about 8 hours. Like fight over the food, trample each other hungry.
Is this normal behavior?

That is completely normal for them. The meat bird section on here is a wealth of information if you have not checked it out yet :)

I wouldn't restrict them right away, only when they are on the grower feed/stage.

I would say restrict them if you plan on free ranging them outside. The restriction is to stop them from eating themselves to death but also to encourage them to forage outside. Once they get use to sitting by the feeder, it's hard to get them to go outside after that.

We are raising Cornish X for the first time. The information sheet that came with the birds (or maybe it was on their website?) said to free feed for the first five days. After that remove food for twelve hour periods of time (to coincide with overnight sleeping). GL!

I usually raise 25 Cornish X each year. I have done 50 a time or two. I have restricted feed before but now choose to give them food during daylight hours. I choose not to restrict any feed for the first 2 weeks sometimes 3. I like m&h&tail growth weights and have never had a single Cornish eat eat self to death. I prefer to let them at their feed during daylight and sometimes more depending on my set up.

Last year I did 2 batches using a tractor with feed available most of the time.

Hope this helps

Gotta love our meatis! They are really worth it.

Back
Top Bottom