Resuced duck with broken beak

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
My friend had 6 ducks 3-4 months old, 2 1/2 weeks ago something broke into the pen & 3 were killed & 1 was injured it had puncture wounds on it's neck & the tip of it's beak was broke. My friend used tape & glue to try to fix the broken beak but it didn't hold so she removed the damaged part of the beak, the duck has been eating & drinking. Last night something got into the pen again & killed 2 more of the ducks, the 1 with the broken beak wasn't injured in this attack, I convinced my friend to let me take the duck so it would be killed. I got it this morning & have it in the pen/run so it can adjust to it's new home, I've never had a duck with a broken/missing part of it's beak, is there anything special I need to do for it????
BB.jpg

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do. Chances are the bill will not grow back, although ducks can live with broken bills. The big thing is she will not be able to clean her self as well, so keep an eye on that. The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure the broken bit stays clean, until scabbed over to prevent infection. Good luck!

They will of course think intruder but you have a lot of room so hopefully all will be fine in no time. maybe in a few days you can put one of your more laid back females in with her for company.
I already have her in the pen with my 1 female & the ducklings they are almost 2 months old & they are almost the same size as the rescued duck. They seem to be getting along okay, my female was pecking at the rescued duck for a few minutes but stopped & she is pretty laid back so I'm hoping everything goes well tonight.

Hopefully so. Check in tomorrow and let us know how they are doing. Make sure she is able to get to food and water. What a horrible thing she has been through. It’s amazing what they can over come.
I just checked on them & Olivia ( my female) was chasing the duck around but again stopped after a minute or so, Olivia is smaller than the rescued duck & isn't hurting him/her but I know the poor duck has been threw so much I don't want it traumatized anymore, I was going to put Olivia into the other pen but she laid down & let him/her eat, so I'm again hoping that everything will be fine tonight.

Back
Top Bottom