Retarded Growth

azzamatic810

Hatching
May 28, 2020
I have got a pair of polish chicks
They were growing and eating well until one of them got sick, it however recovered and started eating and is active but I noticed the chicken is not growing properly as compared to the other which never got sick. There is a noticeable size difference between the two, but both are eating and are active with no laziness or any signs of disease.
Please guide me in this regard.
1. How to get around with growth retardation
2. If it remains retarded, will it grow otherwise like will the chicken lay eggs after puberty?
3. Any other thing you would like to recommend

I have got a pair of polish chicks
They were growing and eating well until one of them got sick, it however recovered and started eating and is active but I noticed the chicken is not growing properly as compared to the other which never got sick. There is a noticeable size difference between the two, but both are eating and are active with no laziness or any signs of disease.
Please guide me in this regard.
1. How to get around with growth retardation
2. If it remains retarded, will it grow otherwise like will the chicken lay eggs after puberty?
3. Any other thing you would like to recommend
I think it should if it is otherwise healthy. I would give it starter feed for a bit with maybe some high protein treats, and see if that will make her grow a bit. As long as the sickness didn't effect her egg organs I would think she should lay normally. She may start laying a bit later than the other hen because of the sickness even though she is over it now. I think that's about all you could do, except wait it out and watch her. Good Luck with them

I think it should if it is otherwise healthy. I would give it starter feed for a bit with maybe some high protein treats, and see if that will make her grow a bit. As long as the sickness didn't effect her egg organs I would think she should lay normally. She may start laying a bit later than the other hen because of the sickness even though she is over it now. I think that's about all you could do, except wait it out and watch her. Good Luck with them
Well you said high protein treats
I offered the chickens some scrambled boiled eggs they were hesitant at first but the normal one ate it all and the retarded one doesn't seem interesting. But then I offered them normal feed and they both ate it actively

Well you said high protein treats
I offered the chickens some scrambled boiled eggs they were hesitant at first but the normal one ate it all and the retarded one doesn't seem interesting. But then I offered them normal feed and they both ate it actively
If you happen to have or can get some plain beef jerky "not spicy" my 4 week old baby chicks absolutely love it, and I don't think you could get more protein. You might also try some live worms if you can dig them up out of the garden or perhaps visit a bait shop. My chickens seem to be as diverse in there likes and dislikes as any small child. LOL Some love strawberries while others give me a look of "Are you kidding me" and walk away. Some love dried cherry, well really almost all of them fought over the dried cherries and the beef jerky. Some pounced on the worms I dug for them while others were totally disinterested. Maybe try a few different high protein treats until you find one your recovering hen can't resist. Good Luck

If you happen to have or can get some plain beef jerky "not spicy" my 4 week old baby chicks absolutely love it, and I don't think you could get more protein. You might also try some live worms if you can dig them up out of the garden or perhaps visit a bait shop. My chickens seem to be as diverse in there likes and dislikes as any small child. LOL Some love strawberries while others give me a look of "Are you kidding me" and walk away. Some love dried cherry, well really almost all of them fought over the dried cherries and the beef jerky. Some pounced on the worms I dug for them while others were totally disinterested. Maybe try a few different high protein treats until you find one your recovering hen can't resist. Good Luck
Thanks will try and update you guys
Thanks guys you were really helpful

Back
Top Bottom