Rethinking 8’x10’ coop interior layout - suggestions?

amysflock

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Tenino, WA
Hi! We have had our “gifted” (for the price of a brand new smoker) custom built 8’x10’ coop (on skids!) for a few months now, and I think the interior layout needs work. I’ve attached a (not to scale) sketch of the interior along with pics (it needs to be cleaned and painted outside and whitewashed inside, and a new run built once hubby moves this beast into its final position, about eight feet backward, with help and the tractor). I think I want to divide the interior into a storage/entry in the front (maybe 3’ deep to accommodate the door swing?) with a separate screened entry into the coop itself, removing the giant plywood covered storage bin curetbyl there. I’m concerned about drafts near the roosts; we have lots of soffit openings, gable vents on each end, as well as a ridge vent. (I’ve been keeping all three windows open some, too.) I’m also concerned about interior floor space currently, which would be reduced if I divide the coop.

Would moving both the nesting boxes and the roosts to opposite walls help with both concerns (ie. coop under the nearby window/over the chicken door, roosts on windowless 10’ wall)? Is there a better configuration? (I’m a perfect world I’d change where the chicken door and windows are all together, but the coop has pricey Hardiplank siding.) I’m very open to suggestions! Thank you!

Attachments

• FB384012-214B-49AB-B909-4EB96E6D33EE.jpeg
    FB384012-214B-49AB-B909-4EB96E6D33EE.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
  • A05BBAE0-F565-438F-9026-F27781C59C41.jpeg
    A05BBAE0-F565-438F-9026-F27781C59C41.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 98F4EB6B-B711-45BE-97FB-589C0B28E719.jpeg
    98F4EB6B-B711-45BE-97FB-589C0B28E719.jpeg
    771.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 6917E77D-340A-4054-99BE-84E6D820A8CE.jpeg
    6917E77D-340A-4054-99BE-84E6D820A8CE.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 29
Space above the nesting boxes is completely wasted. Have you considered cutting a wide rectangular hole, and mounting that on the outside? Sure, you would have to build a roof over the boxes to keep the weather out, but you'd gain useful space and could check the eggs w/o entering. Also, reversing the door hinges so it opens out, not in. That would offer some space back, maybe make it feel less cramped. Moving the storage to the far side, rather than next to the door, would also help with the feeling of restricted space.

Putting that storage up on a shelf would gain floor space too, but I'm not sure how tall you are, which is a factor in how high you might want to make that shelf, and how comfortable you might be in either placing those 50# bags on it, or reaching into the top of them to get feed out. 12" off the ground might be nice for cleaning under them, but doesn't really gain anything in floor space for the birds. If yyou can get at least 15, maybe 18" of clearance below the shelf, consider adding some wire and using it as a brooder/grow out space. That means no solid plywood shelf of course, but if you are using pails or galvanized buckets to hold feed, its not really an issue to ensure a bucket can't tip and go through by careful placement of some 2x2 bracing, topped with hardware cloth.

Drafts from the soffits, gables, etc aren't an issue unless your birds are roosting 8' in the air somehow - leaving the windows open in a driving rain is greater concern. That moving air under the roof is great for removing excess moisture and ammonia from the house, and reducing radiant heat in summer months. Cold drafts are only an issue blowing directly on the birds, and even then, many (most) breeds are more tolerant of cold than heat.

Thanks for your reply! Good point about height. I’m 5’9” but really don’t want to lift or store heavy stuff on the walls, plus I have two young kids who like to help. I would like to keep the storage separate, but do like the idea of a broody/hospital space. I’ll have to think about that. I wasn’t concerned about drafts from above, only noting that I think we have plenty of ventilation up high. Maybe I can keep that south-facing window closed and open the east-facing ones; our weather comes predominately from the southwest.

Back
Top Bottom