Retired Egg Layers

I only have 8 (though I'm adding 5 more in October) so I'll be keeping mine. Mine are for pets and eggs. They're my first chickens, got them last October (2015) so they're almost a year old. I love them.

The definition of culling means "...... especially something picked out and put aside as inferior."
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/culling

I cull older hens, as I have limited space and need the eggs to cover costs.
Most the oldest (2.5yrs) are eaten, some are sold/given away as pets or to folks willing to feed an under-producer.

I have a 6 yer old Buffie, one of the birds from my first flock. She still lays an egg every other day. No doubt that she is the boss of the flock. Late winter, she went broody and hatched out 5 chicks that are now 17 weeks old and getting ready to lay.

My original flock was 8 hens. I have 3 of those left and they will be four years old in February of 2017. They still lay eggs on occasion, so I'll be keeping them. I have had several other additions over subsequent years of varying breeds of chickens. I currently have 35 hens altogether. You'll lose some of your birds as you go along to sickness and predators, or they may simply wander off somewhere else they prefer to be if you free range. My neighbor's chicken coop is about 150 yards from mine, and he did not free range his birds, but mine would go and visit. I'd have to lure them home with meal worms. He's moved, and the new neighbor does not have chickens, nor does he care if my birds go over to the coop on his property. They don't do it much anymore since there aren't any interesting new birds over there.

Having a multi-generational flock keeps you in eggs and in chicks if you want to let any of your hens hatch them out. They won't all molt at the same time, or go broody at the same time. I have two chicks from a hatch in early July, and the hen is currently on another clutch of eggs. I suspect both of these chicks are roosters. One is fine, but two is one too many.

Something got my polish rooster - he was great! I hated to lose him. One of his sons (white leghorn and polish cross) can take over, if he behaves.

Mine live out their retirement years in the coop. I feel like they've earned their place on the perch.

Chickens are not real long lived animals. It is not uncommon for some to die before 3 years of age. Also predators can wreck havoc. With small flocks of 4-6 birds, natural culling will often times be all you need. Feeding 1-2 non productive birds does not cost that much more.

When you start getting larger flocks of 12 +. then one must be more selective as who is in the flock and laying or brooding new chicks. The larger flocks, tend to produce more chicks, which tend to produce more roosters than can be successfully cared for in the set up. Culling become necessary for economic reasons, feeding a dozen birds that are not laying eggs, either roosters or old birds does cost money, the need for separate set ups for bachelor pens does cost money. Culling also become necessary for the flocks success. Too many roosters do not work well in a confined space of a backyard set up.

These are personal decisions, depending on your own set up, your own space, and your own emotional and economic realities. Most of us that do cull non- productive birds, have one or two birds that just get to stay because we like them.

Neither culling or non-culling is right or wrong for everyone, it depends on your place.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom