Retrieving lost hen

vanwilhen

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Hi, i'm new here and to chickens, I just picked up 3 hens and a rooster (inherited from wife's late grandpa, so full relocation). when i got them home, it was dark and was trying to get first hen out of box, she got out and flew away. Pretty sure they're old english game hens, and rooster is old english bantam. Any tips to get her back? I'm in rural southern Ontario, lots of coyotes around and other predators.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
do you have an outdoor pen for them? If so if she sees/hears them she may come to the fence trying to get in. You could also toss some feed our and maybe put out water to coax her other there. If she is a game bird, she should be a good flyer and may roost on top of your coop or high in a tree.

Birds don't like to move in the dark, if you went around with a flashlight you might be able to find and grab her. Hope you are able to get her back before the predators do.
fl.gif

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your hen. Drumstick diva has given you some good practical suggestions to give you the best chance of getting her back. Given that it's night, and with the predators you have in your area, the odds of rescuing her are not good, but there is always a chance. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your hen back safely.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
X2 the above. She probably didn't go far, it being dark already. I do hope you find her!

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your bird! She should be around this morning. Try leaving out some food and water. Maybe try leaving food in a small cage you can trap her in. Or make one of those cage traps where they go in but can't get back out. I have never had this issue, so I am not sure how you can catch her.

Good luck and I hope you can get her back soon!

Top Bottom