Retrieving lost hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vanwilhen, Oct 12, 2014.

1. vanwilhen

vanwilhen New Egg

Hi, i'm new here and to chickens, I just picked up 3 hens and a rooster (inherited from wife's late grandpa, so full relocation). when i got them home, it was dark and was trying to get first hen out of box, she got out and flew away. Pretty sure they're old english game hens, and rooster is old english bantam. Any tips to get her back? I'm in rural southern Ontario, lots of coyotes around and other predators.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    do you have an outdoor pen for them? If so if she sees/hears them she may come to the fence trying to get in. You could also toss some feed our and maybe put out water to coax her other there. If she is a game bird, she should be a good flyer and may roost on top of your coop or high in a tree.

Birds don't like to move in the dark, if you went around with a flashlight you might be able to find and grab her. Hope you are able to get her back before the predators do.[​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your hen. Drumstick diva has given you some good practical suggestions to give you the best chance of getting her back. Given that it's night, and with the predators you have in your area, the odds of rescuing her are not good, but there is always a chance. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your hen back safely.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 the above. She probably didn't go far, it being dark already. I do hope you find her!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

As drumstickDiva has said if shes a game bird she should be a good flyer and be able to get up a tree.If you see her you could try the old box stick and string method as she may get hungry.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your bird! She should be around this morning. Try leaving out some food and water. Maybe try leaving food in a small cage you can trap her in. Or make one of those cage traps where they go in but can't get back out. I have never had this issue, so I am not sure how you can catch her.

Good luck and I hope you can get her back soon!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope you are able to find the lost hen.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I hope you can find your lost hen.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck in finding your lost hen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by