Retroducing a sick chick....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henmommy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have a hen that fell ill and had to separate her from the flock. After several weeks of nursing her back to health, I am trying to place her back with her sisters and brothers. She is very shy and my rooster is chasing her all the time. When I come into the area, she clings to me like "oh mom, make that boy go away and left me alone." I assume he's trying to let her know who's in charge. Is it ever likily that he would kill her? I just want to make sure I am not stressing her out too soon. Appreciate anyones feedback. As a side note, I recently discovered that both chicks I got from a straight run appears to both be males. They are the same age, but one clearly showed his true colors several weeks ago. The other is just now revealing himself. I really didn't want two roosters, so is the concensus to keep the one that appears less aggressive?

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    You could place her in the run or coop but in a separate cage where they could get used to her, but not hurt her. Even if you could only do it for a few hours. Do that for about a week, then when they are roosting at night, go in and put her on a roost or in a nesting box. I've read that the chickens don't notice it as much if you introduce one at night.

~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by