return from a fox attack, only to be rejected

RedLionChooks

Chirping
May 20, 2019
Kennett Square, PA
We have a young flock of 11: 10 hens and a rooster. They are 15 weeks old. A fox attacked this morning around 8a, a red star went missing. Later this evening 7p while we were in the yard, another (or same?) fox attacked, this time a RIR. In one day, from 11 to 9.

Then, when time to roost, the red star hen returned after 12 hours (morning fox attack), clearly shaken, beak open, but otherwise unharmed. The flock clearly recognized her, and ran to greet her. She seemed so uncertain and shaken, in shock it seemed. I picked her up to examine her wing due to disheveled feathers, wanted to be sure no punctures. When I found nothing, I took her to food and water. One of our more assertive hens pecked her a few times. Then the rooster essentially attacked her, mating her several times, but with an aggression that began to look as though he would kill her. (He has not tried to mate her before that I have seen). I intervened while he was mating her for the 3rd time, and removed her from the flock until they roosted, based on the rooster's relentless behavior toward her. After I removed her, my husband said the rooster went nuts, mating as many hens as he could. Dusk fell, and they roosted. We returned her to the coop just as the last of the flock was up, and all seemed fine -- dark and all on roosts (less the RIR who disappeared in 2nd fox attack). Has anyone had experience with a situation like this, with a flock member returning after attack? I realize there was a bit of stress on the flock for one day. My hope is that after a night's sleep, the flock will settle and figure it out. They will wake with still one less hen, as the RIR in 2nd fox attack did not appear.

What a stressful day for all of us. I am also pretty shaken. It's not easy to remove human emotion from an animal situation. I love the little chickens, but do not wish to make the situation worse by rescuing unnecessarily. I forgot to mention - this little hen is low on the totem pole, perhaps lowest. Thanks for any advice - we appreciate any insight.

First, maybe goes without saying but, keep your flock locked up in a secure run to deter fox.

Low bird now 'injured' is hard reintegration.
I'd put her in a wire crate in the coop so she can eat/drink/be with flock,
but protected from harassment.
The cockerel may need to be isolated too, maybe permanently depending on your goals.

15 weeks is a tough time in a new flock, cockerel is wanting to do his thing and pullets are not ready...it can be chaotic even without the attack and reintegration.

Knowing more about your coop and run,
with dimensions and pics(inside and out),
may help garner some specific suggestions.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @RedLionChooks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-12_7-33-32.png

We have a young flock of 11: 10 hens and a rooster. They are 15 weeks old. A fox attacked this morning around 8a, a red star went missing. Later this evening 7p while we were in the yard, another (or same?) fox attacked, this time a RIR. In one day, from 11 to 9.

Then, when time to roost, the red star hen returned after 12 hours (morning fox attack), clearly shaken, beak open, but otherwise unharmed. The flock clearly recognized her, and ran to greet her. She seemed so uncertain and shaken, in shock it seemed. I picked her up to examine her wing due to disheveled feathers, wanted to be sure no punctures. When I found nothing, I took her to food and water. One of our more assertive hens pecked her a few times. Then the rooster essentially attacked her, mating her several times, but with an aggression that began to look as though he would kill her. (He has not tried to mate her before that I have seen). I intervened while he was mating her for the 3rd time, and removed her from the flock until they roosted, based on the rooster's relentless behavior toward her. After I removed her, my husband said the rooster went nuts, mating as many hens as he could. Dusk fell, and they roosted. We returned her to the coop just as the last of the flock was up, and all seemed fine -- dark and all on roosts (less the RIR who disappeared in 2nd fox attack). Has anyone had experience with a situation like this, with a flock member returning after attack? I realize there was a bit of stress on the flock for one day. My hope is that after a night's sleep, the flock will settle and figure it out. They will wake with still one less hen, as the RIR in 2nd fox attack did not appear.

What a stressful day for all of us. I am also pretty shaken. It's not easy to remove human emotion from an animal situation. I love the little chickens, but do not wish to make the situation worse by rescuing unnecessarily. I forgot to mention - this little hen is low on the totem pole, perhaps lowest. Thanks for any advice - we appreciate any insight.

Wanted to post that the red star pullet that went into moderate shock and seemed to be somewhat rejected by flock after fox attack seems to be doing quite well after 3 days. She took a ton of chasing and mating from the cockerel, mild pecking from the pullets, but things seem to be evening out a bit - eating drinking, preening, foraging, more confident. The missing RIR pullet from 2nd fox attack we experienced was found hiding in our garage in a milk crate the next day! I helped her join the flock, and without much fanfare, she foraged her way through the evening, and trucking along just fine. I'd say the cockerel did a fine job sounding alarm so we could help chase back to back foxes away.

On a side note, as a first time chicken keeper, I've noticed that this cockerel really chases down the pullets to mate, they seem to flee for their lives, even trying to fly the fence. It is quite hard to stay out of it, but my instinct tells me it's best not to intervene. From those with experience, do the pullets/hens start to acquiesce in time? Does it always seem so brutal - from a sensitive human / emotional perspective? In other words, is it normal, or is the writing on the wall for aggression? Where is the line? I find it hard to watch what I consider rough treatment, and the apparent fear of the pullets. The cockerel is clearly on guard for a living, so I want him to remain with the flock. Learning to separate human emotion from chicken behavior is an unexpected lesson, but one I sense must be learned to keep it up, given the relentless predator pressure, and behavior of a rooster.

What I learned:
1. To stay out of the way, unless there is serious reason to intervene - they will and should sort it out
2. It's hard as anything to watch the treatment of the (beloved) pullets from the cockerel, especially when they seem under duress, or weak such as after this attack. Seems counterintuitive the cockerel would want to mate a hen in such a state.
3. The cockerel, even at such a young age, is worth his weight in his protective role, and should be given a chance to stick around

Hope to be on the right track - I love keeping chickens and what they bring to our little life. So much to learn along the way. Thanks to all who share their experience to help others!

First, maybe goes without saying but, keep your flock locked up in a secure run to deter fox.

Low bird now 'injured' is hard reintegration.
I'd put her in a wire crate in the coop so she can eat/drink/be with flock,
but protected from harassment.
The cockerel may need to be isolated too, maybe permanently depending on your goals.

15 weeks is a tough time in a new flock, cockerel is wanting to do his thing and pullets are not ready...it can be chaotic even without the attack and reintegration.

Knowing more about your coop and run,
with dimensions and pics(inside and out),
may help garner some specific suggestions.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @RedLionChooks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1875702

aart, thanks so much for your feedback. Will post a few photos and details of our setup once I have a chance. Thanks also for your direction in setting up location in profile.

From those with experience, do the pullets/hens start to acquiesce in time? Does it always seem so brutal - from a sensitive human / emotional perspective? In other words, is it normal, or is the writing on the wall for aggression? Where is the line?
They will submit in time, maybe not until they get close to onset of lay.
Yes. It's 'normal' and the 'line' can be hard to draw without experience.
Rare is the cockerel that accepts the 'no' and leaves them be.

I've noticed that this cockerel really chases down the pullets to mate, they seem to flee for their lives, even trying to fly the fence.
That sounds like too much to me.

A long as the pullets can eat and drink without harassment, and are not pinned down and bloodied, you can let it go. They need places to get away from the cockerels constant attention. The stress from constant harassment is not good for their overall health. It might be good to separate the cockerel for most the day to give the pullets a break or 24/7 until the pullets mature and are laying.

Same as with integration, these thing may help.......
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Wanted to post a follow up, to share outcome. First, both little pullets attacked in 2 separate fox events, doing great!

I made an instinctual, game-time decision to put the little pullet in shock in with the flock at dusk when she returned. It was a rough 3 days, but she slowly came out of it, sustained pecking and aggressive cockerel, and now is doing great.

It was only later that I understood the implications of shock, but even still, I am glad I put her in with the flock, rather than trying to reintroduce her days later.

I agree with your decision to keep her with the flock, separating almost always makes problems worse....excepting that rooster. If you do not have a run, you probably should get one. Even if you like to free range, it is nice to be able to go into lock down if a fox starts showing up.

I know you are pleased with your rooster, and rightly so, but I am betting that it is a juvenile fox, and he is learning too. If you go into lock down, the fox will move on. Otherwise he is going to keep trying until he gets it.

If you had/have a run, lock them all up in the run for a few days and put the rooster in a dog cage for at least part of the time if not all day. Only letting him out when you free range. This will give your pullets a break, let them grow a bit more, and catch up in maturity to the rooster.

If they are not laying - too young for a rooster. Older roosters would not bother them, but cockerels can't leave them alone. In a multi-generational flock there would be older birds to knock some sense into him. You don't have that, I would just separate them.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom