Returned from the Fair brats

mcjessen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Coeur d Alene ID
I picked up my three girls from the fair last night where they were housed in separate cages for 5 days/nights. The first thing they did when we got them into the backyard was fight. It seems the pecking order needed to be re-established and my Black Australorp was the aggressor. She was 2nd in command and now seems to have bumped up a notch. I know I probably should have let them go at it and get it out of their system but the sound was awful and I didn't want anyone to get hurt. To break them up I booted my beloved BA with my foot. She just looked at me like I was crazy but I needed to tell her I was the boss here. Two of the three were bleeding by the time everything was over (I'm gonna watch the wounds). I think it's going to take some time to get them settled back in their normal routine. The two BO's roosted outside in the secure run and the BA stayed in the coop all night.

I think taking them to the fair was a pretty stressful time for them. I don't think I'll do it again next year. I ended up entering them in the wrong class so I didn't get anything by way of ribbons. I was sure my BA would win something (I wasn't looking for Champion, just a ribbon of some kind). The poultry building superintendent said that the judge who looked at my BA was an BA breeder and really liked her. That made me feel a little better. The only good thing, even though I entered them incorrectly was that my DD got two "Honorary" ribbons for the BO's - all minors get ribbons not matter what. I didn't tell her that though. A ribbon is a ribbon.

Anyway, I'm bothered that my girls have come home from fair "camp" and are brats. LOL!!! I hope everyone settles down quickly and we can get back to the normal peace, quiet and routine.

Would someone tell me if this re-establishment is normal please? Thanks...

I've never taken my birds to a show (mostly because I'm worried about bringing back some kind of nasty disease), so.......
I've noticed when I've had to separate flock members for injuries and such they have to reestablish their place in the pecking order. It always seems the longer they are separate, the harder they have to fight for their place in the flock. So yes, I would say its normal. Maybe you could place their cages next to each other in the coop for a couple days after you bring them home (if you show them again), that may give them time to get used to each other again. Good luck, sorry about your bad experience!

Thanks for the input. I'd love to hear other posters thoughts as well.

I'm sure this is totally normal but it's pretty disheartening to watch. It just seems brutal and I'm sure it could get a lot worse. The girls came home in the same cage last night as I only have one. I thought about separating them last night but thought I'd give it some time. Seems all the testosterone (roosters) surrounding my BA at the fair has rubbed off on her. She's not my sweet little girl anymore.
sad.png

To top it off, my BA was "talking" really loudly before 7 a.m. this morning. DH said that if the neighbors complain we'll have to get rid of them. I told him we'll just have to lock them in the coop and let them out after 7 a.m. to remedy that situation. I also said that it was no different than the neighbors stupid yappy dog barking at ALL hours of the night. At least the chickens are quiet at night.

Back
Top Bottom