1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reusing my Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marymac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    How soon after my broody silky hatches her eggs can she be used to set on more eggs?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know, but I sure hope you're not jinxing yourself to have rooster hatches....some people like having hens....LOL!!!

3. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Not a good idea because she needs to eat and build her strength back up.Remember she puts her life on hold to set on egg's.

4. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    It will depend on the bird, if you take the chicks away she may stay on a new set of E ggs, but..... after a certain amount of time she may decide that nothing is gonna hatch, and abandon the eggs she is on at the time. Another consideration is that while broody she is getting no excercise, and not eating right, so I would think it best to let her brood a set of chicks usually 4-8 weeks, and after excercising chasing kids around all day she will probably be ready to sit again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by