"Reverse" Light Sussex...can it be done?

I have envisioned a chicken with a pure black body, with that beautiful purple-ish sheen, with pure white barring on the neck, and either a solid white tail or a white BARRED tail. How awesome would that be?

Quote:
Interesting, but not what I had in mind. Those reverse sussex look rather boring to me. I was imagining something more vibrant and "glossy"
lau.gif

I know eactly what you mean, I've thought about the exact same thing and even thought about asking Tim if he thinks it may be possible, except I was thinking Brahmas intead of Sussex, The pic that barred rocks rock posted though is actually silver birchin, not "reversed light colombian", but it would be soooooo awesome to have bird with the white replaced by the glossy jet black on the body and bright white hackles and tail feathers.

I'd prefer the solid white tail to the white barred...but either would be pretty. I'd definitely want the colombian pattern on the hackles...not the barring like the Delaware. I sure wish someone could invent this chicken.
rant.gif

Long answer:

Once there were black whitetail japanese bantams. If their genes were still alive you would have a chance.
Ever noticed black chickens with white feather in tail or primaries?
They could be selected towards black whitetail.

If your black whitetail were silverbased then you could also get silver hackle pattern, but not the exact opposite of sussex.

Back
Top Bottom