Revised Pullets Pecking each other.....

I have the same issue coming on. It is one young hen. I bought two Araucanas. One had most of her rear feathers beat off; the man said roosters.

She gets on quite well with our rooster, running to hide behind him. But the others have been just bratty. We give them sunflower treats, clods and hay to scratch in. She was beginning to get feathers on her back, even the little bronze tips. I thought we were on the way up!

Tonight we came home to find her wounded on one side with blood near her tail and favoring a wing. We isolated her, which really hurts her feelings and cleaned up her wound. she has her own pen with water, laying mash, grit and oyster shell in their separate containers and a little house of her own. She was so confused about having to stay alone.

We began with five hens, 3 Buffies and two mature Wyandottes and a RIR rooster from the same farm. We added the Araucanas, Loretta 1 and Loretta 2 one week later...the good araucana Loretta 1, lays eggs great, but she is the meanest to the wounded one. She just jabs the wounded Loretta 2 on the butt whenever she walks past. Keeps Loretta 2 a little on the goosey side, as you might expect. She just anticipates being thumped.

Then, the third week, we added two Australorps. Liza 1 and Liza 2.

There are two mature hens and the others are all young hens/pullets. The Aussies had the feathers off their heads; the people said roosters. But, tonight, one of them had some feathers beat off her back too.

We really thought maybe with the extended group and new feathers for Loretta 2, the abuse would stop.

They have a large pen with all sorts of varmint protection, grass in the pen, we give them treats, vinegar in the water, free choice laying mash and hen scratch, a box of granite grit and a box of oyster shell, 6 large nest boxes and a fine roost in an 8x8 house with windows. They are outside all day if they choose. The whole set up is brand new for them. One of the Buffs is feeling dumpy, but spent one day in the house, then has come out to scratch. She isn't quite as cocky as she was (and the others are).

These chickens are more stress than children. Today they caught a frog in the pen. There was some sort of dust up that DH just got in the end of (for the frog) that could have caused some of the injuries and feather loss to the Aussie, but she got the frog.

The first chickens had music at their house 24/7. Maybe we need to figure out something, but there isn't power at their house yet. There is a steady hum of traffic on the highway (that they can't see) and a dog. They are curious about him. He barks too much, but they don't seem to pay any attention to him; they had a noisier dog.

Of eight hens, the one Araucana is the best layer. Saturday will be 2 weeks here and we have seven eggs. We get 1 egg a day; a couple days 4. Yesterday, some body laid an egg in the yard. Maybe we are just wanting them to settle down too soon.

I never thought to put music in the coop. Does that calm them down? What kind of music do you play? My RIR chicks are just now 4 weeks old.
big_smile.png

Ok if the music works I am trying it....Pine tar only makes them peck at it to try and taste it or something. I am thinking the main damage must occur when they are in the hen house. I could watch them and watch them and they don't radically peck each other. As for the peepers I was going to try, just try to put one of those over their beaks and then clamp a bit through the little holes of that and then through their nostrals perfectly without missing while they are squirming and moving. I don't think so. Let me ask someone, and I do appreciate all the kind help and time all of you put into your responses. I don't have a rooster because he attacked one of my children. Do you think a rooster would be helping right now? If so is there such a thing as a non child attacking rooster?
wink.png
(Or a calm tempered one.)

Thanks everyone...

I agree that by this time it may have just become an ingrained habit.

However, if you haven't already, you might try feeding them meat for a week or two and see what happens. Yes, actual meat from the grocery store. Hamburger, scraps from a roast, whatever. Enough so that everyone gets a decent share, fed 2x/day. (Remember chickens are NOT naturally strict vegetarians!) (I would use actual meat, not catfood, because it doesn't have all the salt and artificial additives that catfood has.)

I suggest this because it is not impossible that, despite a decent commercial ration, they are short on protein -- especially if they are trying to grow back new feathers from previous picking. See if that helps any.

Good luck,

Pat

We haven't tried the music yet, but we changed the feeder. They didn't like it; DH observed that they weren't eating the amount they should even tho it was there. He got them a different feeder and it made a great difference.

They had many treats while the grandchildren were here, but we have kept them on laying crumbles this week with fewer treats. The hen they injured is recovering in her own digs and singing. I hope she begins to lay her magic colored eggs. The sick buffy has recovered and the aussies are beginning to get the feathers on their heads.

The children gave them many sunflower seeds for their feathers.

They were hungry and those new feathers looked pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom