Revisit- Deworming Flock, Please.

WoofMeowCluck

Dark Speckled Egg Lover
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
I thought I had the page saved but can't find it now.

Would you mind sharing your brand of dewormer and schedule, pretty please!

My LF chickens are skinny, I can feel the breast bone on all of them, they don't look up to snuff either. There are 12 of them in a 10 x 12 coop with 3 feeders and 2 waterers. They are always kept clean and filled. The chickens can, and do, free range in a large fenced pasture most of the day unless it's raining or snowing.

In the past I have used a horse wormer paste, Zimecterin Gold (Ivermectin 1.55% & Praziqantel 7.75%). They were dewormed with it last October.

Is there a better product to use that will kill most anything? I feel awful because they look so bad. They are otherwise very active, act healthy, no sniffles and seem fine, just too darned skinny!

I planned to worm them this weekend and then strip the coop and clean and disinfect it the following day so they don't walk in their droppings. After deworming is there any kind of food I should use to boost their weight a little faster?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!!

Thank You!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer will kill all known worms that chickens can get. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally.

Quote:
Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer will kill all known worms that chickens can get. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally.

Thanks for replying! Is the Valbazen diluted or given straight from the bottle? Just squirt it donw their throats? Does it do anything for external parasites (not that I've seen any) It's just one dose, right?

Rose, I've been giving them pumpinks all winter. I bought all I could find in the fall and once a week cut one open for them. They aren't wild about any prt of the pumpkin unless I nuke it in the mocrowave for a while and it;s very soft - they will eat a little bit but it's sure not a favorite.

The valbazen is given straight from the bottle, shoot it down their throat. It wont prevent external parasites. You can follow up in 10-14 days with the Zimectrin Gold if you wish. I like to use Safeguard liquid goat wormer...3cc per gallon of water, leave it out for 3 days for them to drink, then discard.

Back
Top Bottom