Rhea's

raph

Songster
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
What are rheas like as pet's, how much space do they need? And how much do they cost in feed, per week?

Never had em, but I understand they are more flighty than emus and ostriches. I don't think they are "good pets" They require a good owner that can support their needs.(Probably not me.)
smile.png

They arent great "pet" pets, they dont like to be touched even after being hand raised. The males get very aggressive during breeding season and can lay a nasty bite someone. The tamer the males are, the worse they are because they have no fear. If you have a large grassed pasture, then they are very cheap to feed because they graze and eat alot of vegetation. They are probably the cheapest to care for of the Ratites.

I guess it depends on your definition of good pets. I have several animals that I can't handle that I still consider good pets. But that's definitely not for everyone.

Hi I was wondering if you could help me
I am planning on getting rheas but I wanted to know what I need to get before they arrive
What food do they need ?
What shelter ?
Man I safe to go near them ?
How do I move them ?

My advice would to be get them young about 5/6 weeks old no more than 3 but no less than that keep them in a small shed under a heat lamp feeding them on chick crumb and finely chopped greens letting them out in an enclosed penn for a few hours a day

I need rheas kinda want the lesser or Darwin ( the smaller type) , I'm in San diego any one got some hatched or if I can be next in line?
Or if there are dawrf emus or ostrich .
I would want two females and one male..

I have a few long 60-150' runs, would these large birds do good with a pig or do they like being alone?
And what breeds do not jump 7' fences?

Back
Top Bottom