Rhod island red, and asterlorpe gender please ( there 18 weeks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karlamaria, Jun 27, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    this is my Asterlorpe we call gertie the gimp ( her toes are crooked) [​IMG] so sweet and gentle. but she has a red comb and the others have yellow. all three asterlorpe are the same age. [​IMG]

the other bird in question is my RIR , we call her Rusty, and she is soooo sweet to!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm gonna have to say definite roos for both. Although, lucky you for having a sweet RIR roo! [​IMG]

EDIT: After looking at the 'lorpe, going by comb/wattles, I'd say roo. Looking at feathers, I don't see any saddle feathers so... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I can not have a roo [​IMG] this makes me so sad, I love that bird. he /she is the sweetest bird. loves to eat from our hands and comes when we call him/her. all of them do, there all so sweet and have been held since the day we got them. ( we have 6 chickens total

4. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I know what you mean! I've only ever kept 2-5 chickens at a time, and I'm in a very urban area, so I'm always sad when one of the chicks that I happen to be VERY fond of ends up being a roo. But you can always just make sure that he gets a very good home!

5. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    How old is your australorp?

I think your australorp is a pullet. She looks much like mine. The roos have got huge red combs and waddles at a pretty early age.

The RIR is almost positively a roo

6. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    See, toldya I wasn't sure about that 'lorpe. xD

In any case, you can always just wait until they're crowing/laying before you make any decisions!

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I agree I think your lorpe is a pullet and the rir is a roo

8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    there all 18 weeks old, and whats funny is the Lorp, has red on the comb, and the other 2 are yellow. if the RIR is a roo not sure what to do :eek:

9. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    as you can see, I live in a neighborhood lol, this is my tree in front of my home ( me looking out my front door to take this picture.[​IMG]

10. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I would guess that your other lorp gals should be getting some nice red combs soon. Seems to be a sign that they are getting close to laying.

I'm afraid the problem with roosters are, you either eat something you care about, or someone else will do it for you most likely. However, it might be possible to find someone on here that needs an extra roo or knows of someone who will. Craigslist might be another option, but still might end up as dinner.

I'm not one for breaking rules or laws, but if he's not crowing, assuming that he is really a he [​IMG] I don't see why you couldn't keep him...I mean...her around.

Edited because I want to know what kind of tree that is....BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by